My Lists

Friday, May 6, 2016

The Veritable Vino Villian

Day 13

Just trying to come up with a new name for the wine witch so that we don't make her female all the time. Ha, I guess Wine Warlock would work too.

I don't know if it's strange to feel relieved but I do.  The Vino Villian or Wine Witch finally came visiting yesterday.  I knew it was seemingly too easy for me thus far.

(Leave it to me, I do everything a bit later than everyone else.  Always catching tv series years after they were popular, reading books long after they were best-sellers etc, I was the last to try low rise jeans, etc.....now I have to wear wide legged pants again?..oh help me...)

So anyway....After blogging about my butterflies, I was in the blah-est mood.  I couldn't function all day.  I work from home a lot and things just aren't real busy right now.  So many things I could have been doing all day.

Instead I was inexplicably weepy.  At first I attributed it to reading an article by one of the moms of those teens that disappeared while fishing last year off Florida.  I was so sad reading about her losing her son.  Then reading about Fort McMurray and blogger Anne a part of all that.

I was not motivated to do anything!  I prowled around the house...some dishes, some work, some bill paying...but I couldn't stay focused.  Kept reading through blogs and feeling fairly non-functioning. Many thanks to all the authors who kept me focused yesterday even though I was feeling blue.

I think this might have been a withdrawal sign.  I kept telling myself that.  Around 3:30pm my husband came home early as he had some appointments on our side of town.  He hit his computer for more work and I went to take a nap.  I NEVER nap.  Just can't.  And guess what?  I power napped for 30 minutes.  I was exhausted.

I've been sleeping really well (other than the dog with the small bladder issue).  At least I get right back to sleep which I didn't after wine.

When I awoke from the nap the hubby and I took the dog out for a run.  (Note, just to be clear... dog ran, we walked.)  But it was a good stretch.   After a nap and some exercise I really did feel better.  But, oh my goodness, I wanted wine soo bad before I took that nap and during the first part of our trek.

When we came home we sat outside before dinner with our sparkling waters and I was fine.  (He is trying to be supportive and I try not to notice when he is drinking beer or wine.)  At that point, the wine was really no more than a thought of something that would be nice to have but that's all.  Showed me how the cravings can come and go fairly fast and, if I fight them off, the whole evening may not be ruined.

My point is that my mood shifted completely with a little rest and a little change of scenery.  I also think I was a bit dehydrated yesterday.  So, again, I think there is something to that saying of "don't let yourself get too hungry, too thirsty, too tired, too stressed or too depressed."

I'm going to be watching for these things and try to analyze if one of these is amiss the next time I feel the urge for wine.  If I can identify the cause, maybe I can focus on fixing that and do something to kick myself out of the craving mode and reset my mood......hopefully.

Feeling much better today!

HD

12 comments:

  1. I have only just made it home safely having played shall I shan't I brain tennis for about 2 hours. I have made it to the couch and picked up my iPad to start trawling the blogs. Sorry you had a blah day but sounds like you dealt with it fantastically. I hope tomorrow is an improvement. The H.A.L.T is important to stay on track of which is why I had a snack and big glass of water as soon as I walked in the door. Can't say I was any one of these tonight but I think my was the strongest witch of all the weekend wine witch - she has the loudest voice of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, H.A.L.T.! That's it...that's what I meant! Mine was like H.T.T.S.D....not exactly lyrical.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you did some good self-care today.
    A nap, a walk, are good things.
    I have found that just a little distraction helped, or breathing.
    The urges might come but even just knowing they will go away in a little bit helps.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support. Day 14 tomorrow and Day 15 will be a first!

      Delete
  3. That's good the exercise and a change of scenery worked. I'm the same as you always leave things a bit late. When I was young I'd always catch on to the latest trend just as it was on the way out.

    From my past experiences I don't really struggle with the wine witch until 7-10 weeks. Just when everyone else starts saying it gets easier, it gets harder for me. I've seen Sober Mummy referring to this as hitting the wall. I'll be more prepared for it this time. My husband was drinking red wine last night and it smelt terrible...thank goodness. Congrats on 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's the wall I will be worrying about. Wine O'clock here now and no issues tonight. But... 4 weeks from tomorrow it's a 2 week "vacation" with my family (husband can't come due to work)....that is going to be tough to not drink...just to tune them out....bless their hearts, I love them all dearly but sometimes we are very different. I'll need to start preparing for that when I get another week or two under my belt!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for helping me name my nemesis: Vodka Villain! You're doing so well HD. 13 is my favorite number so I'm particularly proud of you today! Great job navigating those stormy waters yesterday. That takes enormous strength. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Day by day it seems pretty easy right now but I get so overwhelmed thinking of "never". And yet...I'm not really sure what it is exactly that I think I'll be missing. Hmmmmm.....something more to ponder..

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you had a blah day. Taking care of yourself is important. H.A.L.T can be a real problem, especially in early sobriety. You did well having a nap and going for a walk. Congrats on day 13. A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your alternative name for the wine witch! Hungry, angry, tired, bored, stressed are things I have to watch out for especially when two or more are combined. It's going to be a great feeling passing day 14 - I'll be thinking of you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am on vacation where everyone is drinking, lolling around watching the beautiful sunsets over the water. Except for a few very strong urges to "join in," I have survived just by diverting my attention. I splurge on desserts, go for long walks, and go to bed early. I wasn't sure I could survive this week sitting directly across from so many rum punches, but I am SO glad when I wake up having not given in to ye 'ole wine bastard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope to survive my vacation in June the same way! Good job!!

      Delete