My Lists

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Butterflies

Day 12

Yes, still counting.  I've told myself that I will stop counting days and move towards less frequent blogging once I make it past Day 14 where I fell apart last time.   I am taking it day by day, though.  I think I'll just do whatever feels "right" for me.

I have to be honest.  I think I am doing really well and then I read all the other blogs and I get an upset stomach.  Like butterflies.  The wonderful women I read about who are still starting and stopping scare the crap out of me.  I'm one degree away from that myself.  I know that.  I feel my nails dig into my palms and just try to hold on.  On the other hand, the wonderful women (I don't mean to exclude the men it's just that I'm relating to personal shared experiences here as wives, mothers, etc.) that I read about who have made it a long time also scare me.  The concept of "forever" scares me.

I still don't want to think of myself as a non-drinker.  To me that means I really did have a problem and the thought of "recovery" as a label for my life scares me as well.  Someone mentioned that we all have to find our own way through this, find what works.

For me, I am choosing not to drink because I don't like how it feels.  I can drink any moment that I want to.  I can go buy wine any time I feel like it.  But I have 22 reasons why I don't want to do that.  I won't buy donuts because I don't like the sugar crash nor the weight gain. I do have a little chocolate every afternoon now.  I won't bungee jump or base jump or engage in really risky activities because I feel I have a responsibility to my son and others who love me.  (again, not putting down those who like those activities and need them, I just view it this way for me personally.)

I make choices every day.  I guess because alcohol IS a drug then I just have to give it time to withdraw from.  It's a stronger attraction than donuts, chocolate, and other things.  I can indulge in some things from time to time without over-indulging because they aren't drugs in the same sense.

I had my annual blood work today.  I have more butterflies from that.  In past years I would say "okay I can't drink tonight, annual blood tomorrow"...and then I would have a few.  I remember one year waking up hungover and thinking "oh geesh, I'm busted.".  I'm sure the doc will see something in my blood or urine.  Honestly, it was probably an indirect cry for help.  I guess they don't do a Blood Alcohol Content test from the blood .....they probably should.  Every year I dodged the bullet and was told "well, your blood work, my dear, is still perfect" and "I'll see you back in a year".  Phew I would think.  Celebrate with chardonnay that night then!

Sober Mummy wrote the following in a blog post last year:
Here's a quote from a doctor interviewed by The Guardian in 2008 about his female cirrhosis patients: "These are the steady drinkers. Typically they have a half-bottle of wine with their meal every night, or at lunchtime, and another drink at dinner. They are never drunk but they drink in a sustained manner. They don't realise they've got a problem because they think alcoholics are down-and-outs, or pub regulars. They have wine with  meal and because of that they somehow think that takes away the harm, or they say "but I don't drink spirits." These misconceptions are very common. I suspect there are thousands and thousands of women who are drinking at risky levels, all over the country."

Here I am, 12 days AF and I'm more worried than ever at what the results will show this year.  I've never been this long AF before such a test.  I have butterflies because, on the one hand, I hope the results are still good.  I hope I haven't screwed up my body too bad.  Then again, I'm afraid for good results.  I'm afraid that will give me false bravado and allow me to try drinking in moderation again.  I hate to say I'm sort of hoping for a little higher blood pressure and maybe a warning about my triglycerides and cholesterol! What a freak I am! Guess I won't know for a few weeks until my actual office visit to review everything.

On with my day!
HD


21 comments:

  1. I"m with you on fear of a blood test. I'm going in on May 9 to discuss perimenopausal issues and I just know they are going to send me straight to the lab. At day 25, there won't be anything alcohol related but I don't want anything scary to show up. I don't want to panic and slow my sobriety over it. I'm also considering blowing off the blood work for a while for my sanity. I love the way you think and your honesty about where you are at. The words 'sober' and 'recovery'were also not my favorite words at day 12. You're doing awesome HD! Take a moment to marvel at how far you've come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all different and certainly have different approaches to medicine. I just sort of would prefer to find out if anything IS wrong so that I can tackle it. So much can happen that is out of our control, but I would hate for my kid to lose his Mom because I didn't bother to get something checked out. Just like I realized I don't want him to lose his Mom because of unhealthy drinking. Okay, that's a little heavy...sorry. Just something I worry about!

      Delete
    2. PS - didn't mean to be a downer. Just feeling a little melancholy today. Thanks for your support and I WILL try to marvel at 12 days thus far! Hope I didn't offend you.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely no offense taken. I think you are right to be preventative instead of my hesitant approach. I'm going to be inspired by that and go ahead and get the blood taken. I was melancholy yesterday so I know where you are at. And it's totally ok to feel down. Part of the process and an indication of your strength that you can feel down and get through it without alcohol. Isn't that amazing?! I used to run for alcohol any time my mood was anything other than neutral.

      Delete
    4. Yay, now I feel better, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Well done on day 12. May last long attempt was 14 days and then.... Well I don't know what happened but it did. I know what you mean re the stopping and starting of all of us. When I first started reading and blogging I too found people like Sobermummy and Ainsobriety, Mrs D and the Lotus Chronicles and thought wow everyone is so successful and together but then you check out other blogs (mine too) that are day 1, 2,3 drink 1,2 drink 1, drink, 1, drink. I would say for now just keep doing one day and see how far you get or aim for 100 and reevaluate then. I told my doctor about my drinking and was a little disappointed when she declared my bloodwork all good. I didn't want anything serious but like you I wanted a little wake up that was fixable but that served as a lesson. You are doing really well, just keep going ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just recording my thoughts and knowing others are watching has been a big difference for me this time.

      Delete
  3. Hi! I hear you about the blood tests! I get them every year at a cancer center (bc survivor) and I'm always scared to death of the liver enzyme results! Now, this year I go in June and hopefully will still be sober and I just KNOW something is going to be wrong (can you say "Debbie downer?"). And just know this...quitting is hard for all of us! And while you have 22 reasons not to drink, you have to add in 12 more! 12 days of AF counts for a lot! You've got this! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of adding in days. Updating my list now to 23 reasons.
      23) Because I don't want to start over after logging AF days!

      Delete
  4. I think you're doing great HD. It is daunting reading the blogs of people who've made it through a long stretch of not drinking but they also make me believe that I can manage it too. Good on you for getting checked out every year - I tend to stick my head in the sand about health issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was a nurse so I think being exposed to all that medical stuff growing up made me actually like getting tests, results, etc. Go figure.

      Delete
  5. Well done on day 12. You are doing so well. Blood tests are scary. I always think of the worst, maybe because I am a nurse! I used to think exactly like you about 'forever' and 'recovery'. I try not to think about it so much now and just take it one day at a time. A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey HD,

    Day 12 is fantastic - good luck with the tests! Gosh I can relate to everything here. Unfortunately I am in the category of stop start stop start and this is probably why I have not committed to a blog because I feel like a big fat failure :( I "lapsed" (or "busted" as it's known in AOD rehab where I work part-time)back on my day 8 and have been regretful, tired, angry, emotional and generally feeling like crap ever since. You would think that I could just reset but no I am still stuck in this dark place 4 days on and I don't even understand what keeps me here? I hope to gather strength and refocus on my goals - perhaps writing a list like yours will help me also? I think I probably need to also address some of my underlying problems that I'm currently trying to douse with wine. Keep on keeping on HD and I can only hope I'm back on board soon - maybe even today as this is torture. You are an inspiration xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Responded to you below this. I am a "comment" challenged blogger. Either I don't comment in the correct spot or else my comment shows up 2 or 3 times. I don't get why that happens!

      Delete
    2. Responded to you below this. I am a "comment" challenged blogger. Either I don't comment in the correct spot or else my comment shows up 2 or 3 times. I don't get why that happens!

      Delete
  7. Aww, thanks JB. Remember I relapsed before and then relapsed 1000's of times before that without knowing I was trying. Again, we all drink for different reasons even though we all have the same goal to change what is happening in our drinking. I'll be thinking about you! I had a bad day today but made it through by the skin of my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just borrowed a book from my Uni library called Eating Drinking Overthinking (sounds like my autobiography!) Hoping to shed some light on my disordered relationship with food and wine!!! Oh and Louis Theroux doco drinking to oblivion was fantastic you can watch it on youtube if keen. Well done you on making it through a shitty day xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just borrowed a book from my Uni library called Eating Drinking Overthinking (sounds like my autobiography!) Hoping to shed some light on my disordered relationship with food and wine!!! Oh and Louis Theroux doco drinking to oblivion was fantastic you can watch it on youtube if keen. Well done you on making it through a shitty day xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol clearly i am also a comment challenged blogger with duplicate comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't figure out why the dups happen! Let me know how you like that book, sounds interesting. I know I should watch the Louis Theroux doc....I don't know why I am holding back...probably another sign... :-)

      Delete