My Lists

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Napping is good

Day 18

Wow. Yesterday it was like "kapow!"  I felt like I had been run over.

I woke up after a good nights sleep, went out for morning exercise and by 10am was feeling sluggish. It was a very strange feeling.....as if I was moving through heavy liquid.  I was so tired. Not really depressed in any way, just bone tired.  Could be because I had only had one cup of caffeine tea since we had run out....but I can't imagine that's all it was.  By 10am I might normally have had one more but not enough to be that impactful.

I think I somehow just experienced withdrawal lethargy.  By 1:30 I couldn't keep my eyes open.  I laid down for a 45 minute nap and, again, for the second time in years, I actually napped.  It's almost as if everything associated with not drinking just caught up to me and kicked my butt.

I injected a little diet coke into my system upon waking, a little chocolate a bit later, and did pretty well the rest of the afternoon and evening.  Still very tired at 9pm but otherwise okay.

I used to be able to nap in college between classes.  I've never since been able to truly nap, I just lay down and get frustrated.  If I ever went to sleep at an odd hour (usually associated with jet lag) then I was the biggest grouch upon waking.  Given that alcohol has always been a part of my life since college....hmm...maybe that is my culprit....the villain who schemed against my napping.

I've always been jealous of hubby who can nap and nap HARD!  Once he said he was going to take a nap near me and I was working on the computer.  He nodded off immediately and in 2 minutes he literally snorted himself awake.  As I looked over at him, amused, he asked how long he had been asleep.  Seriously?  He was totally refreshed after a 2 minute nap!!

They say to hold your car keys while you are napping so that they'll drop when you truly fall asleep.  When they drop and it wakes you up, that's all you need from a power nap to feel refreshed.  You can technically do this in your office chair at work or wherever and then be rejuvenated.  I'm still a little skeptical about this but I think I'm starting to fall in the love with the concept of a quick nap.

Wow, how my life could change.  I might be able to pass a car drive more quick by sleeping during it.  Imagine an airplane ride?  (Those of you who can sleep anywhere at the drop of a hat can probably not understand my jubilee over my new found state!  Okay, skip to another blog then, ha ha)

I never wanted to go out and stay out late because of the drinking but also because I would get soo tired.  Maybe I can nap, we can go out in the evenings, I can be awake and enjoy it AND drive us home.  Whew whoo!!!  Time to go dancing!

So maybe now, in the early evening, if I'm exhausted, I'll take a quick nap...instead of reaching for the wine......

Last night I had a lousy nights sleep but feel much better than yesterday.  Go figure.

HD


9 comments:

  1. Hmmm...HabitDone...this is the week of "quickies" for you!!! hahaha I have read on a lot of blogs that people were dead tired in early recovery. I did not have that! Unfortunately, I could not fall asleep!!! Thankfully, that has passed (knock on wood!) And my hubby can nap even standing up in a subway! It's crazy I tell you! Crazy!!! I am going to try that key technique you mentioned. I am not a napper but would love to be one! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a nap! I set my alarm for 30 minutes and wake up feeling a bit groggy, but once that passes I'm a new woman :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Napping could be the way forward! I'll lie down during the day if I'm tired but if I manage to fall asleep I'm out for a couple of hours. I'd love to be tired at 9pm, that's when I get my second wind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear that exhaustion is really common in early sobriety. I'm a little envious. My brain is like the energizer bunny. It never slows down for me to ever sleep during the day unless I have the flu. Go with whatever is happening with your body. It is healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how sleep works! Sometimes I feel even more tired when I've had a (rare) sleep-in than when I don't. I never understand that! I'm not a good napper, I just can't fall asleep and if I do, it takes so long I waste the day. So enjoy your naps! And congrats on day 18! A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess you are giving yourself a brand new body so things are bound to change, like the ability to nap. Take your lead from your body. if it wants to nap let it nap. Im quite jealous. xx Day18 wow xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like a good nap. I'd have one everyday if my life would allow it. Should move to a country that has a siesta! That's funny about your husband waking after 2 minutes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing awesome :) I have heard that the funky sleep rhythms are normal and that it evens out after a little longer of not drinking. I haven't been falling asleep easily the past week but not due to not drinking, just stress. You are almost at 20 days :), wow! <3 Go you!

    ReplyDelete