My Lists

Monday, May 30, 2016

Summer begins!

Today is Memorial Day here in the States.  All gave some and some gave all!  So many really cool posts are showing up on Facebook about it.  It's nice to see reflection given to the day other than just having parties around the pool and grill.  Technology helps to redeliver the message of what holidays like Memorial Day, Veterans Day, etc are all about, and the true purpose behind our cause for celebrations....  The sacrifices that have been made by others do not go forgotten.

These holidays, and summer time in general, used to be significant wine and sometimes beer time for me.

I was reflecting on some of the pool parties I've had in years past that have been blow outs in regard to drinking.  Memorial Day BBQs, 4th of July bashes, Labor Day picnics, etc.

I also remember not remembering.  Sadly.  I have a point where I remember how some parties went but then the rest is a blur.  I know we all sat around entertaining each other with great stories, but I could never remember the stories the next day.

I think this summer will be more quiet.  Our schedule this year is somewhat driving this but I have no interest in hosting any more drinking blow-outs.  I still would like to host a party or two but it feels great to know that I can have my own drinks and I don't think I will be worried.  Here's why...

This weekend has been my first real time hanging out by the pool.  This would normally be a huge trigger.  I found myself thinking that I didn't want to go hang by the pool, at first, and had to give some thought as to why....

I realized it's because I would start drinking....a beer while I was relaxing at the side of the pool, then a glass of wine out of the pool, then hubby would keep pouring more wine while I relaxed back in the pool on the raft, etc.  More wine later in the jacuzzi.  I wouldn't get drunk/drunk but pleasantly buzzed and very, very tired.

Once I realized my thought pattern, I shook it off.  So yesterday, I still had an AF beer by the pool.  I still had a 1/2 club soda and 1/2 AF free chardonnay on the lounge chair.  By that point, though, and actually less calories later, I was filled up and didn't have the alcoholic buzz saying "pour more".  I had some water.

And I felt great!  Everything I had enjoyed by the pool, I still could.  Without the tired grogginess setting in, without the lack of motivation and without the midnight self-loathing about it all.

I have found that I am slowly allowing myself to actually keep my old habits, I'm just removing the alcohol part of the equation......so I don't feel like I'm missing out by stopping drinking.

I realize that this may not work for all and that triggers can be really hard and bad.  But for me, not having to "give up" or "deprive" myself of things/activities, that were normally associated with drinking, has been really beneficial to my happiness.  I can still do what I've always done, just with a clear head.  I don't need to drink to be happy!

HD

8 comments:

  1. You're so right on! I think a lot of the mental part is not feeling deprived or like not drinking is some kind of punishment. Yes, there may not be that wildly excited high at some point during the day, but compared to all that goes with it, it's much better to not drink. Not to mention the next day! That feeling of relief and knowing that you had a good time without the booze. That's the new "high"-and where the being happy comes in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so pleased you had a good day! I have been thinking the same thing here in England today. It is a bank holiday weekend so we are off work today. We went out to a restaurant for lunch. In the past this would have been full of aperitif, wine, slight late afternoon pause then start again in the evening. This time I had a great time, no drink required and I continued to feel good all afternoon! Go us! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I'm right there with you on not wanting to feel deprived. I have 6 days by Mexican pool coming up and I would traditionally start drinking at 10am. I don't care how many AF beers or virgin bloody Mary's I have. As long as I feel grown up, not deprived and happy, I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I am sitting on my deck with hubs and it's sunny and lovely I am perfectly content with AF drinks, coffee, and water.
    I am also so glad I don't drink Bloody Mary's anymore as they have SO much sodium and I would blow up like a balloon!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness for those AF beers and mocktails! They make me feel normal!! I am having an AF beer as I type this!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done HD! There is no reason you can't enjoy doing things you used to do. Just do them without alcohol. I know it's not always so easy. But once you've done it a few times, you realise that you can still enjoy it without the booze. You are doing great! A x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Replacing is a perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post so much. I admire your mindfulness and also your planning ahead. You and I are both starting to get that sentiment that you mention at the end- we don't have to drink to be happy. I am really starting to see that and although it's an adjustment, it's like bulb slowly lighting...hmm...yes...I don't *have* to drink...awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete