My Lists

Monday, May 23, 2016

Counting Days

Day 30

I completely understand why Jason Vale said not to focus on counting days and I think that works for some people.  But not for me.  I've written previous about my time referencing need.

I NEEDED to count.  Getting to day 30, and the fact that I was counting to get here, ENABLED me to get here.

I'm an effort/reward type of gal.  I need to have goals to be motivated.  (Hence my earlier post on being bored in my 40s.)  I need to have something to look forward to.

This morning, I sat down and checked my previous blog post, reading comments.  Then, I checked my email to see if anyone had commented on older posts of mine, to read those comments as well.  Then I went through every one of the blogs I've added to my reading list to see what is new.

Then, and only then, did I let myself go to Sober Mummy's blog and read about Days 30-100.  This was my chocolate for the morning, my sumptuous treat. I prolonged opening it and reading it.  I wanted to savor the process.

It was full of very helpful information and I look forward to experiencing the things she wrote about.

Part of counting for me is that I need some short term goals.  I think introspection is important throughout the process but I need literal hurdles to leap.  I've enjoyed the blogging and getting to know myself better.  I like who I am becoming.

I'd like to back off of posting, to be more productive, but I'm just going to see where it goes.  This has been a necessary and critical component to my success at abstaining.

I remember when I had my son, I filed all his newborn pictures on my computer as Week 1, 2, 3 etc.  At some point I switched to Month 7, 8, 9 - probably because I was a bad mom and taking less photos....and now I file by Age 11, 12, 13 and all pics from the year go into one folder.

I'd like that to be how I count this AF thing.  I was on days until now.  I may try to move to counting weeks.  I'm starting week 5 and I know that once I complete week 14 I'll have 2 more days until 100!  Then, maybe I'll move toward months!

SM says it gets easier by Day 100.  I'm looking forward to that!  Thanks again to all who blog and comment.  It took this village to get me here to day 30!!

HD

22 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! Day 30! 1 month! Congratulations!!!!! I'm so happy for you! I agree, it does get easier. Easier as far as the cravings go! I think the entire first year is hard. it's a year of "firsts." I myself am very worried about my first summer not drinking! I will feel good when I get to 1 year1 Then I will know in my heart of hearts that I can do it! I need to count! It is what is helping me! Each day I get closer and closer to that 1 year soberversary!!! Congrats again!!! Happy to have you in my blogging life! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks S@53! I really appreciate support. We'll get through the summer together!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations HD! Awesome! I wish I had a badge or something I could send you! When I got to 30 a friend sent me her AA 30 day coin which made me cry. You've done the hardest bit now! Whoop whoop. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so! Thanks for keeping track of how I am doing!

      Delete
  3. This is where you moniker us very apt donewithmywinehabit, they say it takes 30 days to break a habit so well done you. Now you need to keep a replacement going for said habit, whether it is blogging, reading, walking etc. This is a big hurdle you jumped and I think that is fabulous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my replacement habit is blogging! Lol

      Delete
  4. YAY! Happy Day 30 to you, HD! You have done so well! Celebrate your awesomeness! Such an accomplishment:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CWD!! I have felt very good today!!

      Delete
  5. Yay, you did it! Congrats on day 30!! You are so organised HD! The only heading my photos have are the dates that automatically go on when you transfer them onto the computer! I like counting days too. I don't count as much now and often forget what day I'm on but I have a day counter on my phone so I just check that if I need to. Keep going, you are doing briliantly! A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray HD!!! Congratulations on your big day!! 30 is a beautiful number! I'm with you on counting. Still haven't stopped. Maybe at 100. Loved reading SM's 30-100 too on day 30! It's nice to have that waiting for us. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just thought I'd add as things wind down in this neck of the woods- been happy for you today! Just think, tomorrow you will be over 30 days sober. Go you!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very sweet to comment twice. Thanks for thinking of me!

      Delete
  8. Hooray you! 30 days is awesome! The way you talk about counting is pretty much how it seems to have gone for me, too. But at first, every single day counts! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your approach to Sober Mummy's blog. I tend to read the whole thing and want the long term success right now. Your patience is amazing. You are right -- somehow blogging does have the magical effect of having this army of angels on your side. I never thought it would feel this way, but it's pretty cool. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that term...army of angels...so apropos!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on 30 days, your first month! I don't want to count days particularly but I know what you mean about certain significant numbers. I'm happy to be at 30 and am looking forward to reaching 100. We're almost 1/3 of the way there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilarious! And you're right -- we have to get out kicks where we can. This almost sounds like the perfect "cleanse." ; )

    ReplyDelete