My Lists

Monday, April 15, 2019

Normal(ly) Drinking

Yesterday I titled my post "halfway" and realized this morning that I might have sent the wrong message.  I am halfway through Annie Grace's Alcohol Experiment, that's all.  I don't want to drink and I know I will still have some cravings.   I can't stop at 30 days.  That's only days 15 days away and I'm nowhere near ready to drink again.

That is so strange to say.  Why would I even want to drink again?  I still can't say "forever" and can still visualize times when I might want to but I bet I can visualize working through those situations and not drinking.

While I am having cravings,  the cognitive dissonance has changed tunes.

A craving used to be a debate like:
- Oh I want wine so badly
      -  Yes but you are quitting so you don't need any
- But I REALLY want some wine
      -  I know but you know you want to quit
- No you don't understand, I MUST have wine
      - Well, good thing we don't have any in the house
- But I can run to the store
      - Don't do it!
- I Do'd it!

Now the cravings are more like this:
- Oh you could really use a glass of wine, don't you feel...…(insert varying emotions)
      - Yes, but I really don't want what it does to me
- But don't you REALLY want some wine?
      - I don't know.  I kind of want that numbing feeling but I really want to quit more.
- No, you don't understand, you SHOULD just go have some wine
      - Well, I don't have any in the house anyway
- But you can run to the store
      -  Nah, it's not worth it.
- Just do it!
      - Oh, you just stuff it!

It's the "person" that has changed.  Now my conscious self is the dominate voice even though the inner child is still talking to me.  I want to keep this up.

Yesterday, a family member was driving me so crazy that when we were sitting outside, I kept thinking oh we really should have wine right now.  I don't know how to describe this but it was more thoughts than desire for action.  A big huge "wouldn't it be nice" but "oh well, that's not for me, not who I want to be" followed by a sigh.  I was just looking for an "out", an "escape" from the negativity I was dealing with.  Instead I just sat with it, kept turning away and rolling my eyes and sticking out my tongue where nobody could see me.

I came up with this saying right before I quit again...…

"Normal drinking isn't what I normally do, but I'm normally drinking around 5pm."

Sort of says it all.

The challenge for me is this....over the last two years I have become in touch with a few things:

1) I drank only to change my mood to a more mellow one.  (I really don't have terrible stress, I have a good relationship, loving family, pretty house, decent savings, I enjoy my job, etc.)  I just liked the buzz.
2) I didn't drink for taste.  I'd drink anything if it resembled the mellow flavor of white wine.  It was more of a push to drink red but once the mellow set in, it didn't really matter.
3) I didn't stop at two glasses.  If I disciplined myself to stop at 1, I was okay, but it took a lot of control.  It took superior control to stop at two (this I usually failed at).
4) Not drinking was actually pretty easy if I "just said the heck no".  It just took a certain element of control that was really only needed for about an hour a day.
5) If I was feeling moody or agitated I wanted wine to calm down.  I needed to find new ways of calming myself and changing my mood, replacing wine endorphins with non-wine ones.  (probably not technical but I think I make my point.)
6) I'm so in touch with the fact that I have an abnormal relationship with wine that I was VERY CAREFUL when I drank.  I didn't drink and drive. I didn't drink much when in social situations, just with hubs.

All of the above was every reason in the world to create a new normal and to stop normally drinking.

My blog must be so frustrating to those who have successfully quit.  You KNOW it's better, why don't I?  Well, I think I'm finally starting to see the light.

I FINALLY finished reading Sober Mummy's book this morning.  I started it awhile ago but once she got really far along in sobriety, I lost interest.  I just wasn't there yet.   She hit her year of being sober just as I was starting to try and get this in hand.  Her blog was crucial to my getting going on my journey.  Absolutely critical.  I think she realizes how many people she helped.  After I finished the book, when I read her acknowledgements of some of the blogs she said helped support HER, I almost cried when I saw mine mentioned.  Wow, just wow.  It was just the emotional support injection I needed today.




4 comments:

  1. Just caught up with your past couple days, and as usual, I'm nodding my head away. Last year, I started and made over 100+ days not drinking, then I did, and it's all been a slippery slop since. I'm not at my worse, but I'm exactly like you wrote, "just want an out/escape", but why? I'm trying to stop again, and your blog is helping me figure out "do it now damn it!", no reason to wait. But I'm stuck.

    How terrific to know Sober Mummy mentioned you in her book! What an inspiration for you. You are moving in the right direction!! YEAH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she might have mentioned you too? It said Lia.

      Delete
    2. Ps...email me at habitdone@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. You ARE getting there! VChanging your mindset is key and going through the inner debate each time helps so much. Every time your inner voice wins, that is a success and when it doesn't, it will just make the next time a little bit easier because you will remember the feeling after you drink. For me, it's remembering that (the feeling after I drank) that helped so much in eventually just not wanting it at all. It just wasn't worth it. You can do this! And, I am so impressed that Sober Mommy mentioned you in her book, that is awesome and special :)

    ReplyDelete