My Lists

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Finally Acting My Age

I've commented before how it seems that many of us are into our 40s or further before we get a grip on this alcohol free process.  For those that are in this sober universe and are younger, then I am sooo proud of you and envious of you figuring yourself out sooner.  Be proud of that.

One thing that strikes me as I sit here in my late forties is that I feel like I am finally acting my age and I feel comfortable with that!

When I was in my 20s, I dressed like a 35 year old old....never could really pull off a good 'ole skanky outfit and I had no interest in night clubs.  Ex used to use the term "classy" for my look but I don't think I heard "sexy" that often.

In my 30s I owned material things, had club memberships, that were more appropriate for 40 or 50 year olds......lol, don't own them anymore, such is life....but I always felt too "young" to have such things compared to most of my peers.

I finally felt like myself when I hit my 40s.  I had downscaled a bit on the material things due to divorce and was living more within what I thought was my "means" and not trying to have a life I really couldn't afford.  I didn't need to go to clubs and I met a really great new man so didn't have to worry about dating in general.  I could run my life as I wanted to.

The problem is, instead of my traditional feeling/acting older than I was, I started to realize I was actually acting younger in regard to my drinking habits.

I don't think most of my friends were putting away a bottle of wine a night.   While I didn't go out partying, I was carrying on in my own home like a 20 year old binger.  Don't get me wrong, my friends love their wine, but in more appropriate ways.  They weren't continually devoid of energy, putting on weight and I'm pretty sure they didn't worry in the morning that maybe they still had traces of alcohol still in their system.  We would all have fun together but I was the one overdoing it.

If I had been blogging over the last 6 years I think there would have been a lot of starts and stops.  Or maybe not if I had found the blog thing sooner.  I certainly desired to stop.  But every morning I vowed not to drink, by 2pm I thought a couple wouldn't hurt me and I just wouldn't drink too much, and then every evening, once I started, I finished the bottle.....most nights anyway.  And it would begin again the next morning.

For me, I think beginning to blog my thoughts and comment out loud, in writing, was the dynamic shift I needed to get off that endless merry go 'round I was on.  I know there is still danger out there for me but thoughts do run through my mind like ...."hmmm....maybe I have this beat...I can truly have just one when out to dinner and it won't bother me".   I do know the fallacy of that thinking but those thoughts do pass through my head.

I feel like the key to sticking with it has to do with some catalyst.  Some dynamic shift in behavior to make it work. Some people write about hitting bottom so maybe that change in mindset is their shift.  Others began blogging and it worked.  Others started exercising and changing routines.  It's interesting to read and see what works for some and not for others and vice versa.

What I do know is that by not drinking, I feel like I am acting my age.  Oh sure, it would be nice to socially drink but at least by not drinking, I no longer feel like I have an immature secret I'm holding on to like a child.

It's nice to be here.

HD


14 comments:

  1. I am in full agreement with you here! I also love being older, but I think my drinking was stuck in a younger way of living. And I also think that by articulating what I was doing and thinking about drinking, I was better able to see my own patterns and those of others, and how they were not serving me well anymore. Thanks for saying this so clearly here! One of the things I love about the blogs is that sometimes someone says something and it's a clear expression of what I was thinking but I just hadn't put that into words, and that helps me so much! I'm glad you're here! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful. I agree others words often clarify my thoughts too! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. I was 47 when I finally decided that I needed to outgrow puking in the toilet in the morning. Funny thing, since I quit five years ago, I feel younger than I've felt in years, almost like I'm that 14 yr old girl who was abducted by drinking and is finally set free to discover what the world is really like. Most days, that is my story, but as you saw in my current blog, I still have the days, or weeks when I miss it. But not enough to start again. I've got too much of the world still waiting for me to discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I do feel younger in spirit now...in a good way!

      Delete
  3. That's so true, I am in my early 50's and felt increasingly that my peers and friends have 'grown out of' excess drinking in a way that I just hadn't. Whilst it was normal in out 20s to get drunk, others had just stopped doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its like friends grew out of it and I grew more into it!

      Delete
  4. I am learning to laugh so much more in my "older...but not old" age!
    Now that I am not drinking, I am finding I am lighter, I am not carrying the world on my shoulder quite so much.
    There is nothing cute or attractive of a drunk woman at my age!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last sentence I had meant to put in! So true, nothing attractive at all!

      Delete
  5. I remember pouring my glass of wine every night thinking how very grown up i was. But i wasnt. Maybe an 18 year old might feel grown up with a drink in her hand but my reality was a 38 year old slurring and downing the bottle. Now im sober i really am grown up. I dont rely on that poison, im present in my own life, i feel more in control, i have a laugh with friends/hubby and can hold a (Semi) intelligent conversation. I totally relate to what you have wrote HD, I'm starting to act my age too and I love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, MrsMac, nice to know I am not alone!

      Delete
  6. I could have written this. My thoughts exactly. I'm so glad that you have found what you need to stop drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this- well done. I think you are doing a fantastic job, HD. You sound proud of yourself and like you have more self-respect. That is wonderful :). <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've always been secure and proud....except for when I wasn't? Isn't that how it goes? Ha. Nice to get rid of that feeling of inadequacy!

      Delete