My Lists

Monday, June 6, 2016

Blogging Angels

Many thanks to all who commented on my post yesterday!  Without knowing you angels exist, I would not have made it through Saturday.

I know, for a fact, that I never would be where I am today (Day 44 but who is counting) without all this outpouring of support.

I never, ever, thought I would blog.  I thought... how embarrassing to put my true thoughts in writing for strangers....but a strange thing happened.....I turned 180 degrees in my thinking.

My hubby blogs and I never understood it.  The majority of  his friends on facebook are people he has never met in person whereas, until recent, I had met, in person, every one of mine.  I couldn't understand how a virtual universe of friends could be beneficial.  I told him he was hiding.

Then I started reading all the blogs and spent months doing so without ever commenting.....and still drinking I might add.  I don't know why I was scared to comment but I was.  Then, when I decided to comment I just dove full in and decided to do my own blog.  What the heck!

Blogging is a good fit for me.  Once my goal became to stop drinking I became suddenly aware of why I didn't want to deal with it in person.  I didn't want to talk about it with my friends, didn't want to admit I had this weakness when others seemed to handle it.  I'm not good at group meetings and didn't think AA would be a good fit.

(I went to a divorce care group one time and almost slit my wrists at the end of the evening.  I think some groups must be very good and supportive but I couldn't handle a room full of women feeling sorry for themselves and bitching about their exes.  AA would be different, I know, with people wanting to move forward but, after the other experience I just couldn't bear talking about myself in public. Maybe I will give it a try someday.)

I recently accepted a friend request from one of the bloggers in this universe who has been very supportive.  I was more proud to accept that request than others from those I have met in person.  I think that says something about this group.

They (whoever they are, I always refer to them....) say that writing down your goals makes them more likely to become a reality.  Well, my goal was to just stop drinking too much.  No real time frame, I just didn't like what it did to me, who I became, etc.

But the fact that I wrote down everything I wanted to about alcohol forced me to see that stopping drinking needed to be my new reality.  It was too easy to forget what I didn't like it about it unless I wrote it down.

And the other bloggers.....oh my....they constantly remind me, through their own stories or supportive comments on my posts, as to why I don't need to experiment with moderation.  It's hard for me to take another person's word or experience regarding something without trying it myself.  But reading post after post about why I should not try to drink again has been the single reason I have not tried it.  I know that.

I have no idea if this post will help anyone or really reach a different audience.  However, if you are having trouble stopping drinking and are really wanting to quit, maybe give the blogging a try?  I and others are ready and willing to read and offer support.  That support has been so important to me.

Blogging definitely helps with accountability to this process of quitting drinking!

I do know that my feelings about alcohol have not been my reason for not starting again.  It's completely due to, 100%, this blogging universe of which I am now a member.

Thank you, angels!!

HD

14 comments:

  1. I am so sorry I missed your post yesterday!
    I am very proud of you for taking action that kept you sober!!
    Blogging helped me so much too! I am also a friend on FB with another blogger.
    I love to see her!
    It's hard being a sober person in a drinking world at times, but it really is worth it in the end!
    XO
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I think it will be. Glad to have assurances such as yours. Rest of family arrives in a few. Tonight will be my next test, but, honestly, after this weekend it should be easy!! I am armed with all the ingredients I need for my special AF drinks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sober blogging world is awesome.
    I room,end trying an AA meeting. I'm not a big AA er, but I do think it's worth checking out.
    It's always good to know where support is available.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blogging world is awesome! It has helped me so much. I don't think I would be sober today without my online support. A x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with everything you said. It helps a lot! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sending you virtual hugs! Hope the family reunion went well xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and sums upshot I decided to blog this time. I needed a space to be honest and help me work through this. I love this blogspace, there is no judgement, there is empathy, and great words and support from those on the same journey and at different stages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog and your support is immense for me. Keep doing what you're doing because you are truly kicking butt. So glad vacation is going well :). <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post HD's I'd never blogged before until I decided to give up drinking. It is what made the difference in the early days and still continues to be my main support (daily) now. I had so many failed attempts in the past but this (blogging) is what has made the difference this time round. You mentioned that you do NOT want to try and moderate which is good but have you ever considered that you probably have already tried that. How many times have you said you wouldnt drink one night but ended up drinking anyway. How many times were you only going to have one glass but had the bottle. That was you tring to moderate lol it doesnt work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought blogging was for the kind of people who "date" online, having never met the person. I was so wrong! I'm like you -- I would never have left at this for so long without the online support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I met current hubby online! So maybe,as you just reminded me, I was cut out for the online world. Too funny...I didnt even make the correlation until I read your post!

      Delete