My Lists

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Ruptures and Repairs

Day 25

Well, I skated through another annual physical yesterday.  After Nurse confirmed that I hadn't shrunk in either height (and, unfortunately, nor weight) since last year,  I saw the Doc.  As he was detailing off all the blood test levels....kidney fine, glucose fine, uric acid fine, liver fine.....huh?

Say that again?...liver fine he said.  When he said that, I drawled really slow and loud like a southern belle, "liver fine, doc?  well go figure".  And he said nothing.  Didn't bait.  Just smiled.  Didn't ask a question.  Hmmm...

Do you think I mentioned I'd been a drinker?  Of course not.  Then again, I think he may be too .......his nose was looking a little red.... It's like nobody really wants to bring it up, me included.

Then it was time to remember that this did not give me a reason to have a glass last night.  I needed to just be grateful and move on, continue forward with my plan.

While I was at the doc, however, I, of course, was glued to my smart phone in the waiting rooms.  I am "inexplicably" drawn to those lists on the news like 9 Ways Happy Couples Fight or 12 Reasons to such and such.

(I know, I know, you wouldn't expect a person like me, who made a long list of reasons why and why not to drink, to be drawn to such articles......)

Anyway...one of the lists quoted something about true healthy intimacy being full of ruptures and repairs.  I thought "wow" this applies to quitting alcohol too.  We must rupture and repair ourselves numerous times before we truly can move to a new and fulfilling lifestyle.  Seemed like an interesting analogy to me at the time.....then again, I was bored.  And NO I didn't rupture myself last night!

I actually made my first mocktail.....stealing from another post....sparkling water mixed with club soda, mint, juice and a little stevia to sweeten it.  It was pretty yummy.  I just couldn't face plain bubble water and the mocktail gave me my first hope that I can make it through the upcoming vacation armed with more!  The cloud of impending doom feels like it is lifting!

And I also really liked the quote I saw that someone posted on Fbook:

"Everything will be okay in the end.
If it's not okay, it's not the end."

Hmm...good point.....   I'm good with not being 100% okay, but I AM feeling at least 80% better about myself!  Continued work in progress is good because at least it's moving in the right direction!

HD

20 comments:

  1. I was always so worried about my liver function tests that I get at the cancer center each year. They are always good! Really good! Even lower end of the range! I am so worried that now that I'm not drinking, when I go in June, my liver functions are going to be thru the roof! Oh the irony!!! I'm so happy you got a clean bill of health! One less thing to worry about! And I LOVE that quote!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely they will be fine. Fortunately the organ we all chose to mess with is pretty resilient...until it's not!

      Delete
  2. I got the all clear too on my liver when I was deep in the middle of drinking. Glad I didn't get the warning but maybe my liver sending me a signal would have helped me along faster. So glad your appointment went smoothly. Phew! Congrats on your first mocktail! My cloud lifted when I discovered AF beer as you know. Now I just have to deal with the boys wondering why I'm suddenly drinking AF beer. Curious minds are sometimes annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wimped out and told my son I didn't want to drink because it was making me fat. :-)

      Delete
  3. My doctors all ask about drinking.
    Of course for years, I told them I only drank a few glasses a week.
    When I got brave, I told my doctor.
    You are doing great!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend is a nurse practitioner. In her NP Masters program, they told the students that whatever amount someone tells you to drink...double it!!! And, sometimes I was totally honest! Surprisingly, my dr. didn't stage an intervention! hahaha

      Delete
    2. Ahhh, that made me laugh!!! Thanks for the evening chortle!

      Delete
  4. My blood tests have always been normal and it was always such a relief because I was convinced I had cirrhosis of the liver. My right side ached a lot and being a nurse, I always think the worse anyway! These days, my iron is a bit low but that's all. I was actually (and how bad is this!!) that my thyroid was underactive because that would explain the weight gain. But alas, all normal. So no pills to make me magically lose weight! I'm weird I know! Congrats on day 25! A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of hoping for abnormal thyroid function too!! Lol

      Delete
  5. Excellent news about the tests! And congratulations on day 25 - almost 1 month! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a good liver result. Interestingly enough during my 120 days of sobriety my blood sugar levels normalised, regardless of what I ate ( I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes two years ago) so I think alcohol consumption played a big role in hyping my blood sugars up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS interesting. I had about 12 days behind me when I took the labs so I think that helped with results!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on a good liver result. Interestingly enough during my 120 days of sobriety my blood sugar levels normalised, regardless of what I ate ( I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes two years ago) so I think alcohol consumption played a big role in hyping my blood sugars up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, HD! Closing in on 30 days! Amazing. I finally noticed a wee bit of a difference on my scale when I was in the Day 40s...I think it's normal for there to be a delay, but it almost certainly will happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, alrighty then, I will try to be patient...

      Delete
  9. Fab news on the liver results, but there is so much more to aim for so don't let the wine witch use it against you!! No ruptures required (although a cupcake is allowable!) You are a quarter of the way to 100 days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! I AM a quarter of the way there...yipee! Good point, thanks.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on 25 days and your blood results. I laughed at the doctors reaction to your reference to your liver results. He's definitely a drinker lol. He sure didn't want to quiz you did he. I agree with SW don't let the good news trick you into drinking. You're better than that. hugs x

    ReplyDelete