My Lists

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Morning News Blues

Day 26

I'm always last in this sober universe....literally.  My day starts when many others are ending or have ended.  The Aussies and Kiwis (are these appropriate terms?) are asleep having already finished the day I am just beginning.  The Brits are facing wine o'clock as I face the morning.  Even the Eastern US is 3 hours ahead of me.

I'm falling in to a nice routine of posting in the morning and doing a run through of the blogs.  It's a peaceful and centering start to my day.  Then, in the afternoon, after the workday is finished, I grab tea and chocolate, read comments, and post my own comments on others blogs, before moving on to dinner preparation.  It's sets me to thinking and puts me in a proper frame of mind before wine o'clock.

One of the challenges to being so far West is that my morning news always seems to be full of doom and gloom.  Even on 9/11, I awoke, stumbled to the couch, and watched live as the second plane hit the World Trade Center.....I was bleary eyed. It was surreal.

When terrorist attacks occur further east, I often wake up to the horror.

I awoke this morning, thinking about what I might post today, and then I sat down at my computer, oblivious to what was going on in the east.  I opened up the news online since I hadn't turned on the television.  Immediately, I saw the news about the missing Egyptian Airliner and soon thereafter saw that the debris had been found.  While the actual cause is unknown, the thought that it could be another terrorist attack is chilling.  If it was an accident, it's still disturbing.

These events always remind us how fragile life is.  My heart always hurts for the lives that are lost in a tragedy like this, the lives of the families that were changed in an instant.  

I don't want to minimize what happened today, but bringing this back to alcohol since that's what this blog is for.....why do I choose to do things to myself that might deliberately end my life sooner when all the other risks in life could do that for me?  Others could take my life in an instant with no thought nor care to what my life amounted to or what I meant to anyone else.  My ability to be self-destructing is truly mind-boggling.

In the past, the news would have given me reason to drink, to tune out the depressing events as they transpired throughout the day.  To chat exhaustively about it with hubby during cocktail hour.  As the drinks progressed, the feeling of helplessness would grow, requiring more drinks to dull the fear...

Instead, today, I vow to spend the rest of the day feeling grateful.  I will let myself feel the joy of my life slowing transforming to be one that I won't regret should it ever be cut short.

Today I rejoice in how I'm feeling better about myself just for what I am accomplishing.  My face does look less swollen, less puffy.  A little brighter even.  I finally feel like I am getting that girl back that I was in high school and college before I graduated and married wine....the one who laughed joyfully and enjoyed every minute of life.

I get enough bad news in the mornings online, who am I to put myself or my family at risk of becoming the news? So glad to be moving forward!  Hugs to all who are trying!

HD





14 comments:

  1. Yes it can be hard keeping up with everyone when we are all in different time zones. It is nice waking up to comments on a morning to keep me focussed. The news today has been awful but im pleased you are not dwelling on it but rather being grateful for what you have and focussing on your amazing journey.
    I'm sorry to say but when I was drinking I would have had no empathy when listening to the news. I don't know if it was because I didn't want to acknowledge how horrid it was or whether I was just that self centered. I can say now that since getting sober I have found my empathy for mankind and feel more connected. Even if it is hard to bare sometimes I rather be present than just numbing it all out. Keep doing what you're doing. Hugs from 20.37 UK time xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've worked through some of the lethargy and cravings I realize that I really feel so much more joy in general. Still would like wine but so happy and starting to make the connection that wine killed my happy factor.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the West too! I think it's just you and me HD!Crazy how we have that self destructive urge when it comes to alcohol :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my morning routine too, I love it! It must be difficult waking up to such depressing news :( I sometimes get really down when the terrible things that are going on in the world get overwhelming. What's the point of living in such a crazy world? But you have to pick yourself up and keep going because life is a precious gift and we have to make every moment count. I can't believe I wasted so many precious minutes drinking a poisonous substance that made me miserable! Congrats on day 26! A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the West as well! I rarely blog early in the morning, though. I go through spells in which I take care not to read the news first thing in the day as it can get me off to a bad start. Glad to hear you're on Day 26 and doing well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, more West!! Sometimes I feel like this whole sober universe belongs to other countries! But I'm learning a whole new vocabulary aren't you? So fun! Husband is starting to say "where did you get that word?" Haha, if he only knew!

      Delete
  5. I know it sounds strange but I stopped watching the news years ago. Most days I skim the online news and only focus on major events. I just don't cope with too much bad news so I have to filter it. Like you say, lets not be the next bad news for our loved ones xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say if it's not the headlines that I see when I first open my browser, then I don't know about it. Probably pathetic on my part but I don't like to be bummed out either.

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm...I have such a different perspective on drinking and dying. I always let myself think "wow, I could get killed tomorrow so why not just drink today?" I am having a hard time getting out of that mindset. Sometimes the thought is very strong. Especially when I am getting on a plane or train. I have to talk myself out of it. On the flip side, I sometimes think as you do...about how I was killing myself with the wine! I guess I'm just a hot mess!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get your point. That mindset is what kept me from abstaining for so long. I would say to myself "I could get killed tomorrow, if I enjoy a little wine, so what?" And that would be okay if could enjoy "just a little wine". But the person wine turned me into wasn't who I wanted to be.

      Delete
  7. East Coast here :)! Beautiful post, HD. Truly!

    ReplyDelete