My Lists

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

But What Happens When I Hit Day 100???

This is a post that I started awhile ago and I keep saving it without publishing.  I just couldn't get my feelings down in writing quite correct, but I think I understand my thoughts better now.  The best way to describe this is by writing about the conflicting conversation in my head........

I have this constant, internal debate going on....

Alcohol Free Side of Brain (AF):  I love how I feel about not drinking.  My face looks great.  When I wake up at night, I can at least get back to sleep.  I have lost a few pounds.  I am productive at night. I remember everything.  This is awesome.

Drinking Side of Brain (DS):  You are doing so great, AF!  You totally have this beat.  Look at you on Day 73. Eazy Peezy!  You can have a glass if you want one.  Maybe you shouldn't do it every night but at least you can have some on a holiday.  Or if you go out to dinner and have a glass of wine with a meal, that should be fine, right?

AF:  Oh, but I haven't lost the weight yet.  I really want to look better and feel better before I put any alcohol back in my body!

DS:  Ahh, but you are looking terrific!  One glass here and there won't derail your weight loss goal. You will still keep your new you and just drink a lot less than you were.  You've got this nailed!

AF:  Oh, but I also don't want to start counting days over again.  I'm so proud of myself getting to this point.  I spent years, every morning, saying I would quit and I always found a reason not to.  Then one day I just did it.  I don't want to start again!  I really want to get to Day 100.

DS:  Well, yes, of course, but you wouldn't be starting over.  You would still have many, many more days without alcohol than with.  You would just be occasionally drinking, like normal people.  You really are normal, you know?  You just lacked the discipline to stop the excessive behavior.  See, when you put your mind to it, it was not a big deal, right?  Okay, so just get to Day 100 then.....


Amnesia is setting in.....the pain I felt while drinking, the initial angst I felt when I quit......all in my rear view mirror right now.  That's the momentum taking hold, propelling me forward faster and faster.  Days are flying by now.

Don't get me wrong, I have definitely quit drinking for an extended period of time.  I am committed to not drinking until I feel I can.  You can see the constant debate going on in my head.  I almost (not quite) want to drink to silence that conversation.

I know if I started now, at home, I wouldn't stop. That is completely clear.  Yesterday I wanted to drink not so much because I "craved" the wine, but I just wanted to numb out, tune out, chill out and I know wine would do that for me.....to lift my kind of poopy mood.  At least it would very temporarily....but I didn't.

In March I tried to stop and start again with wine every evening and I was right back to where I didn't want to be until I committed at the end of April to this time.  Having adjusted to home life without alcohol in the evening is becoming my new habit.  I'm good with that.

But.....I'm scared to death of what happens when I feel I can drink!  What happens when my axis shifts?  When the DS of my brain speaks more loudly than the AF side?

I am committed to getting to Day 100 and then to losing all the weight I want to.......

But beyond that....it's as if once I have decided I have proven to myself that I can do it, then I can decide when and where I will drink.  As if!

I'm not talking about moderating the way I used to drink.  That horse has left the barn and I'm okay with that.  I KNOW that I can no longer moderate at home.  I'm actually mentally fine with that, strangely enough, and it isn't my goal to go back to that life even in moderation.  That isn't daunting anymore.  It's as if that fight went out of me.

BUT...I can't seem to let go of the idea that someday I will be able to pick up a glass or two, for just one evening at a friend's house, or on another vacation, etc.  I keep thinking "and then I'll go back to non-drinking like I'm doing now."  Why can't I relax on a beach with a pina colada?  Get a little stupid and have fun with my hubby sans kid?  Wake up in the middle of the night for a few nights? Then go back to how I live my life, generally alcohol free?

For some reason my brain thinks that since, before, I kept trying to moderate at home as well, that this time it will be different if I just moderate outside the home or on very specific social occasions.  BUT I HAVE READ BLOG AFTER BLOG of others who thought the same and are fighting again to get back to an alcohol free lifestyle. WHY oh WHY does my brain reject their posts?

I realize that I just don't like being told I can't do something!!!  I am telling myself that I can't grab a glass of wine because of blah, blah, blah.  Honestly, I think that is what is bugging me the most.

It's nice my hubby can have a few.  It doesn't bother me that he does.  It bothers me that somehow I got screwed up and now I can't!!

I'm feeling controlled by my inability to control.  

Okay, so let's say I CAN do what I said above....of course I CAN, it's my choice....great, now I understand that.  So if I CAN then WHY on earth do I really want to drink?  Other than proving that I CAN, I don't really have any other good reason.

...It doesn't truly make me feel better in my soul........I feel much better about myself now.
...It certainly doesn't help me sleep.
...It doesn't help me get motivated to work out and/or lose weight...

I read a quote on reddit that said:
"If I control it, I can't enjoy it.  If I enjoy it, I can't control it."

Wow, that stinks either way you slice it!

So there is this voice saying to me, "you should just do it". "Show the world you can have a glass or two and take it or leave it, while preferring to leave it most of the time."

There is a huge disconnect in my brain.  I don't even like what alcohol does to me so why do I want to keep putting it inside of me???

In addition to not wanting to restart my day count,  I don't want to report to the rest of you that I drank.  This feeling is strong right now but will it always be?  Will I care enough down the road?  This blogging universe is full of people who have quit or are trying to quit.  There aren't too many blogging about successfully quitting and then still being AF most of the time with occasional successful social drinking.  If you are out there, let me know!  Hmm....or maybe don't!

There are so many stories of those who seemed to feel like I did, with many days AF and then they try it again..... and then are right back struggling to break free from alcohol again.  I read, I listen, I internalize, I understand, I agree.....and yet.....why do I think I can be different??

I go back and I read my lists over and over again.  All my points are valid.  But for some reason I keep thinking that someday, not now (I know I'm not ready yet), I'll be able to be a changed person and view alcohol like a special treat, like a chocolate croissant.

I know this is just part of the process.  I just needed to ramble a bit......okay a LOOONNGG bit.  I am hopeful that with enough days behind me, at Day 100, that I get to a point where I just don't want to bother with putting that poison back in my body.  I'm content with "for now", I'm just scared of "when I get there" whenever there may actually be!

At Day 30 I thought there was no way I could make it through a vacation.  At Day 41, I started my vacation and made it through with little issue.  Here I sit at Day 73 and am petrified about Day 100.  So maybe I'll just feel better by then too?  One can hope.

I made it through my first 4th of July without a drink in many, many years.  Here's to more firsts!

HD

21 comments:

  1. I have no words of wisdom really but I think it is a good thing that you are thinking this through and blogging about it. I think there is more danger in becoming complacent. Being sober forever is too daunting for most, so we come up with shorter goals,30 days,100 days but don't let achieving 100 days be an excuse to drink. You are in control, you can drink but you have chosen not to drink for a very good reason(s). You have to believe in yourself and that you have made the right choice.
    I have told myself that I can drink when I retire (some 30 years to go) its not forever but im hoping i'll just not want too by then haha. This is all a learning process and I'm pleased you are sharing xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 years...lol...maybe I will just keep coming up with new goals!

      Delete
  2. I'm having the same conversation in my head! I've told myself as I get closer to 100 days that I'm going to go for 215 days b/c my ironman is then--a good excuse not to drink! After that, well hopefully I'll be close enough to a year to want to go for that...etc etc. But omg, I WISH I could moderate too! Sadly, I know one glass isn't really the point--I want to check out....the taste of wine is separate for me from the feeling of escaping from life. (Now I'm rambling!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, one is too many and a thousand isn't enough.
      Thats the insanity.

      Delete
    2. Yep, that's how I feel. It's more about wanting something to escape for a bit.

      Delete
  3. Sobriety is a precious commodity. Look at some new bloggers. Look how hard it is to get to where you are.
    I am proud of myself that I overcame an addictive behaviour that could have ruined my life....you should be proud of yourself as well!
    All the cool kids are sober. We know better, that's where the joy is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mind does this too HD. Unfortunately, it is giving us an out. I don't think we can think about drinking someday if our intention is to not drink right now. It's one or the other. The moment one starts thinking that a drink here and there might be ok, that's when relapse starts turning the wheels. At least that's how it has been for me. I have pulled myself out of two relapses at this point and my mind was doing exactly what yours is doing right now. Yes, so many have also tried to moderate after significant abstinence. Some far longer than 100 days. And it seems to always end the same. But since there is that chance that we might be the precious ones who can actually do it, our brains latch on to that and magnify it. I'm sorry that you are having to go through this. It would be so nice if we could just easily settle in to not drinking. But that little voice is always there. This is hard stuff but we're doing it! I'm at 100 in 13 days and I'm not sure what I'll do after that milestone. I'm wondering if I should stop counting or set another goal like 200. Maybe pushing the goal line further will help you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with pushing the line further. Maybe I can keep doing just that.

      Delete
  5. HD, first of all, go you on Day 73. That is awesome. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this. There are a couple of scenarios that can be imagined...1) you drink and are able to moderate, 2) you drink and are unable to moderate, or 3) you don't drink. I am not going to tell you what's right for you. Maybe you have the moderating gene. Maybe you don't. Maybe it's worth it to you to find out. I know for me, I tried moderating many times before I quit. I desperately wanted to be casual and no-drama about my drinking, just one here and there, etc., but I wasn't able to. I am coming to realize that this is my thing, and it's okay. Even now, after some serious soul-searching time has passed, I know just one doesn't exist for me. I am thankful to have that self-knowledge. It really helps me see it more in black and white. My brain doesn't understand just one. It is easier having none than obsessing about one- I think Belle of Tired of Thinking About Drinking talks about that. Either way, I hope you know that I respect you whether you drink or not. <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant my response below to be a reply to you but put it in the wrong spot!

      Delete
  6. I really appreciate the rope you are giving me to figure this out while being supportive of any decision I make. Not telling me "No", you would think, would give me permission to go try some wine, see how I do....but strangely it has had the opposite and a very calming effect tonight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of very wise comments here. I like the one above: 'My brain doesn't understand just one' describes it exactly. And my obsessing is crippling me. You are doing brilliantly. Annie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, no shutoff valve here either. Thank you for your support, Annie, I want this to click for you too!! So badly!

      Delete
  8. I have the EXACT same conversations...and I mean EXACT. But I know better, I have done 100 days before and tried to moderate at day 129...it didn't work. I will not give up on the idea that I can't have a social drink ever again, I believe if this shift ever occurs it will take years. I just want to keep doing this until I don't care if I have a social drink or not. I'm struggling so bad today and yesterday with cravings. Not losing weight yet keeps me wanting to stay here too. I really want to lose weight. I don't want to start over. Even though we are on opposite sides of the world we are in this together. I won't give in if you don't 😃 PDTG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! Yes, let's not start over! Email me before you drink and wait for a response. Wait for permission. :-) By the time I get the email with the time change, hopefully the craving will have passed! habitdone@gmail.com We have to be strategic about these things!

      Delete
  9. I can't say I completely understand because I don't just want one or to moderate, I want several drinks knowing that I more than likely will over drink and then I can just start again AF. I am 99% convinced 99% of the time that moderation will NEVER work for me. Doesn't stop me from wanting one more "goodbye" session though. Part of me wonders if you need some way to change your thoughts as they are happening. Without that sounding too obvious which of course it is, I mean for you to come up with a phrase or way of interrupting the thought to take the drive out of it. I don't have the answer but I know myself you must be going a bit nuts thinking about it. I get crazy whe I am thinking of jacking it all in and I am one of the ones who went back to drinking after 139 days. Would you consider hypnosis or reiki? Something like that? I hope you manage to keep being strong til it takes for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm giving thought to afternoon yoga too. I need to find other ways to "take the edge" off!

      Delete
  10. Dear HD,
    I used to have those conversations, too.
    But with more time, I see all the reasons why not to try to moderate.
    The most important is the peace of mind I have being sober.
    I never have to worry about all the consequences of drinking too much.
    And now, I am learning to love being sober, feeling clear headed!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hopeful that I can get there, where being sober is much more rewarding than chilling out with wine!

      Delete