My Lists

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Day 3: Beware of the craving swap

This post is to say "cut it out" to myself!  Lol.

Today I had a brilliant idea or should I say epic crash of an idea!!!

I started having a very stressful day.  This morning I knew I would crave wine big time by afternoon.  I knew after lunch I would start craving wine because I was edgy, cranky and tired.  While I didn't have alcohol last night, I did take awhile to get to sleep after the events of yesterday.  Finally got those thoughts to shut up and then dogs woke up every few hours.

(These mutts either have the world's largest or the world's smallest bladders and I'm never sure which.  They sneak drinks out of toilets.  I think we need to limit the amount of liquids after 6pm, like little kids, because these nighttime yard-crawls are becoming ridiculous! No wonder I am tired.)

Anyway, I decided I would think of my favorite pink donut with sprinkles whenever I had a wine craving.  I probably haven't had one in 3 years and that was only when I was visiting where I grew up.  Before that I probably hadn't had one in 10 years!  I just love those suckers.  But it's always easy to avoid donuts because the other voice in my head that screams "fat, fat and nothing but fat" usually wins out.

So I decided that every time I started to think of wine I would swap out and think of the pink donut.  By 4pm I was craving a pink donut like nothing else.  But I'm too lazy to go to the store to get one, actually not even sure where I would go, and then I knew it wouldn't be quite like home.

This was like craving wine on a camping trip in the middle of nowhere when you forgot to bring it.  You just have to sit with it.

But the difference is we have sugar here.....and I found it!!  I had a few cups of tea with sweetener in it, one Milano cookie and 9 squares of Cadbury chocolate.

Well, that killed the wine craving.  Hubby just asked if I minded if he had some wine and, believe me, I spoke the truth when I said it wouldn't bother me at all, lol.  I am way too fat feeling to want any and too full of sugar!

I don't think the sugar craving swap is going to be the ideal way to weather this.  It's notable to mention that hubby has always said I am addicted to the sugar in Chardonnay which is why I don't ever crave red wine, hard liquor, beer or even other white wines nearly as much as Chardonnay.

I never really thought about that seriously until today.  Then, I perused blogs, and OH what TIMING!  There were some mentions of sugar and how it links to alcohol addiction.  I am going to lap up all the knowledge I can.  I am more skeptical of giving up sugar in my diet than wine but I'm going to explore it!

I also added a bunch of new blogs to those that I follow.  I'm going to go back and read up on people's early days!  Will be fun and distracting.

To end on a positive note:
1) No more wine craving and it's just 5 o'clock somewhere!!  Heck, I just want a salad and to sit down and read more blogs or magazines.
2) I hit my 10,000 steps by 1pm today just by doing my normal morning walk, things around the house, and a lunch meeting that had a long approach to the restaurant through a mall.

Will try to focus on getting to 15,000 steps, adding some strength training and diet/sugar issues over the next week!

On to Day 4!

12 comments:

  1. DO NOT QUIT SUGAR RIGHT NOW!!!
    I'm afraid if you want a real chance at stopping the alcohol you may have to develop a temporary cross addiction. The key there is temporary. Unless you can think of some other small reward or distraction to have when you are having a craving then I suggest you go with a sweet treat for now. At least give yourself 30 days to get rid of the habit part as well as the addiction, then you can reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh have no fear! This won't be anything immediate. Just intending to do research while eating chocolate. Sort of like I researched quitting drinking a year ago, reading books while drinking wine! Gotta get ready to get ready first!

      Delete
  2. Hi HD, Congrats on Day 3! That is fantastic! I'm with Groundhog Girl on the sugar thing though. Now is not the time to be so hard on yourself.These early days can be difficult as the mind and body readjust. Walking & exercise are great for helping with both but be kind to yourself. If you want a doughnut (or 3) with pink sprinkles have them. It's a fact that if you eat them standing up they contain no calories anyway, the same as broken biscuits! The weight loss will come I promise you but I wouldn't focus on it now. Be kind to yourself, you're doing a great job! Have a good Day 4 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and if you drink diet coke and eat chocolate they cancel each other out too, right? Ha!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love those pink sprinkle donuts too! And yes, there is a direct link between sugar and alcohol addiction which is why some say eat all the sugar you want and others say avoid it at all costs!!! What a dilemma...but do what is best for you! You will know what works for you and what doesn't, the most important thing is to not drink. If sugar becomes an issue that can be worked on later (I'd rather regret eating than regret drinking, forgetting, saying things I don't mean....all a result of alcohol and a donut never did that to me)!!!! Well done on 3 days and I'll be right behind you :) . hugs. Christy (Running From Wine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...good point that donuts can't hurt nearly as much as wine!

      Delete
  4. Yeah. There's no sugar in Chardonnay. It is very low carb.
    Alcohol is actually shown to reduce blood sugar.

    Don't give anything up. Find a few treats you like. Enjoy them. Don't give yourself one minute of criticism.

    A few treats are so much better for your body than booze.

    Gentle. Compassionate. Easy. For a while try to use those words as motivation. You are doing a hard thing. High five!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stocked up on some cookies at store today, lol.

      Delete
  5. And I would add, that have high quality treats.
    I found that cheap chocolate, or ice cream wasn't satisfying as good brands.
    And I LOVE donuts, and I have some once a week!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget the wine, I really need a donut! Lol, Day 5 complete!

      Delete
    2. Good job! Onwards & updwards through Day 6 :) x

      Delete
  6. I'm with everyone else. Having some sugar in the early days can get you through. However I do think it's linked to cravings for me anyway. It's hard, it can help and hurt I find but I'm not going to give up 2 things st the same time. Do whatever works :)

    ReplyDelete