My Lists

Monday, June 13, 2016

The Wine Table

Still hanging in there for the family gathering....

Yesterday saw the departure of the mother-in-law and the arrival of my college roommate!  YAY!  I enjoy my friend's company but more importantly she is keeping me sane.  She is the new kid on the block for the family.

She is very patient and willing to listen to all the repeat stories to which I would go crazy listening too.  I love her.

She also does not drink.  So this has made things easier as well.  Normally I would be drinking, making her stay up late and listening to me talk too much.

A friend of the family took us all out to dinner tonight.  I didn't drink.  Others, like me, who were driving and then my friend, all did not drink.  So I think out of 10 of us, 5 drank.

It was a strange feeling......sitting around the table with wine being ordered and consumed, white wine no less, and I didn't really have any craving.  Just a thought of "wouldn't that be nice to have."

I would have loved to have had some, no doubt.  To get that mellow feeling.  But...I was driving.  But...I would have had at least 3.   But......I would have probably gone home and opened another bottle.  AND I would have felt horrible the next morning on so many levels.

Anyway, sitting around the table, with white wine being poured and not for me was definitely a first.  I hadn't prepared for that so was glad the thought of wine was a passing thought.  I think it would have been harder to resist if I hadn't been driving.

But I really don't want to start over!  Whatever keeps my boat afloat......

HD

5 comments:

  1. So well done with all of that white wine in front of you! I'm amazed that you were in a crowd where half were not drinking. I think that's why I so easily made it through my farewell party at work. A fellow sober friend was right next to me. In Mexico, it seemed like the entire world was drinking! You go - you're staying strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, getting through a dinner out with wine drinkers and (mostly) not wanting a drink. I've found that gets a lot easier as time goes on, and what a relief that is. Just cheering you on here! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done again HD, you've got this! Glad you've got someone new to keep you sane and on track. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be great to have a sober buddy on your holidays now. Im pleased you had many good reasons for not drinking wine at the meal. I find unexpected situations harder to deal with as I like to prepare for such events. Nothing massive but just mentally checking off all my reasons for not drinking helps me. I think you did really well and it just shows how strong you are and that deep down you know that drinking is not worth it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, so glad your friend is there! Go you for looking into the future past "just the one"! I love driving sober (even though I honestly hate driving!)...go you. :)

    ReplyDelete