My Lists

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Approaching Day 50

When I decided to stop drinking I never thought I would make it to Day 50.  Somewhere along the way it just become a new habit.  The old one was done.

Tomorrow is Day 50 for me.  I am halfway through this vacation....no wait!.... make that family gathering as RipleyBelle suggested.  This isn't really a "vacation" although the setting is lovely.

I am also halfway to 100!

Being on vacation with family and not drinking has not really been weird at all.  I know some family wish I would partake but there hasn't been too much pressure, they just seem to accept it.

All my family drinks around me every evening but I was the only one, I now realize, who really drank to excess.  They have just continued on as they always have......you know.....drinking normally.

I know I could probably moderate enough to not get wasted around my family....I never seemed to overdrink around them to being what I would call drunk......more like lightly buzzed.

But I know I would still drink way too much to be healthy.  I'd probably be fine going to bed, wouldn't slur my words, would still get up and go on a beach walk in the morning, etc.

The difference is that now I don't get overly agitated at the antics of my family, I sleep the whole night through, I wake up feeling pretty refreshed and my face looks brighter as I face the new day.

I have a feeling my cravings will hit again when I get home.  I'm prepared for that though.

Right now I just don't want to drink and that has made this process a whole lot easier than I thought.  Sure, there are a lot of reasons TO drink facing me right now, but my reasons NOT TO drink completely outweigh them.  (And I haven't lost the weight yet - ha!!)

HD

26 comments:

  1. Congrats on day 50!! That is so awesome! I have two weeks off over the school holidays coming up at the end of June, but I don't consider that a 'real' holiday. Our annual two week trip to a sunny resort is what I consider my real holiday, so that will be my big test. You are doing great! A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all of your great comments and support! Yes, it will be a test but mentally preparing yourself for how you will handle it IS very helpful. Figure out what you will need to get through it.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on day 50! I'm glad you are song well on your vacation too. It's funny when you stop drinking and you realise how little other people drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange. I've watched others put away 4 glasses but it's spread out and they are fine. Likely, I would have been on my second bottle!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on day 50! Good to hear the family gathering is going well and I'm sure you'll be fine when you get home. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so. Will take it one day at a time.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations HD! It sounds like you are I a very good place. Enjoy the rest of your 'family gathering'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! Mother-in-law left and college roomie arrived. Time to relax!!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous on day 50!!!! You are doing so well and I hope the rest of your vacation is wonderful, sober, and one to remember forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on day 50! I'm so please for you and relieved that you are doing well on your family break. I hope your return home is good and you continue to make fab process! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you are doing so well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! fyi, I figured out the double post thing...anytime I post in blogger and go back a page, my comment doubles. I have to just close that tab completely and then reopen a new tab! What a pain!

      Delete
  8. Half way to 100, Well Done. You are doing really well on your holiday.
    You talked about how you could probably moderate around your family but im so pleased you have chosen to live life fully instead. There are so many benefits that comes with being sober and clarity. You are doing amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. While I know I could moderate right now, with family, I'm glad I didn't choose to do so. I know that it would lead to not being moderate! I would get home and it would all start over again!

      Delete
  9. WOO-HOO!!! Day 50! Look at you go, HD! That number is getting hefty! You have been kicking butt this entire time. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmm...I don't know where my comment went! Just wanted to say that when I got home from vacation, my cravings went down. Getting back to my routine helped me immensely. Hope that happens for you too. Congrats on Day 50! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lost your comment and I had one pop up in the same blog about 6 hours apart. Strange!! Remember, this isn't a vacation, I have redefined it...lol. But hopefully you are right and I just jump back into my routine which was not drinking!

      Delete
    2. Hey guys my comment is gone too but I put it down to me thinking I commented.

      Delete
  11. 50 days is fantastic and you are coping well with the pressures of family. Half way to 50 is significant because hopefully you have a clear view now of where you are going but also a good recollection of where you are coming from. A good place to take time to reevaluate what you have learned and what you still wish to achieve. As SoberMummy says the weight starts to come off after 100.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good points! Thanks for all of your support through all this!

      Delete
  12. So brilliant sending 50 big clouds of sober love your way xxx

    ReplyDelete