My Lists

Thursday, September 15, 2016

He won.

Tonight, my Ex won.  He got to me, to my psyche. For that I am not proud.

We have been having a turbulent court battle about finances.  It's hard to feel like a victim.  I know I made my own choices.  I married him.  I guess I should have known what I was in for. We have been divorced for many years.

I took him back to court in June 2015 about some things I could no longer overlook.  We finally settled back at the end of July....this past one, 2016.....or so I thought.  Today was the first day I finally got his changes to the agreement and I felt like I was settling on my settlement.  I was so disappointed, I didn't know where to turn.  He is paying his legal part under the new terms, despite no agreement, but hasn't paid what he promised me as a lump sum.  On top of that he is nickel and dime-ing me in some areas.

Then, I got notified that companies are cutting back.  No more commissions for next year.  My paycheck will likely get cut by 2/3 in January 2017.  It's daunting to reinvent myself at this point. Current hubby is doing well so maybe we can be okay but I still hate it all.  I hate to be dependent upon someone else.

Through all my issues with my ex I have kept it away from our son.  He knows nothing of us being at odds.  I just feel very strongly that he should have a relationship with both parents not influenced by the situation my ex and I have with each other....other than the obvious divorce.  I am the primary custodial parent.  (I have referenced Malicious Mother Syndrome and it is for real....I WILL NOT be that person.) Ex chose to move 3,000 mi away and see our son maybe, if lucky, once a month or every other month.  I can't pretend to understand that decision no matter what he thought of me.  He does call our son every day,  thank goodness.  I have stopped apologizing for Dad but I don't say anything bad.  Son thinks Dad sold his company recently, instead of losing it to bad business.  I haven't said a thing.

I have no desire to poison my son's view of his Dad.  Let him believe he is Superman, that's okay I think.

But tonight I told my hubby to buy a bottle of white for me.  I guess it's good that I made a conscious decision to tune out.  I ate dinner first, a lot of carbs, before I had any.  I knew why I was drinking it and for what purpose. There was no illusion that I can do this all the time.  I'm writing this tonight after a bottle over 5 hours, pretty coherent. Just disappointed with the days events....obviously feeling guilty about it all.

Maybe this is okay.  A deliberate acknowledgement of a bad thing I did. I dunno.  I won't drink like this very often.  So many days without it has taught me that I don't want it.  But I did tonight....as simply a drug that I knew would do the trick.  (and folks.... I'm not sure it did!  I'm in the same place, just a little dizzy while typing!) I don't pretend I can handle it regularly.  I know that I cannot.  As much as I said I would never have it when I was stressed, however, I did tonight.  Please forgive me.

My hope is that I will keep this in perspective.  That it's okay to let myself down occasionally.  That overall I'm proud of where I've come.  I'm so much happier without alcohol.  I know that I will sleep crappy tonight but I am still going on my walk tomorrow morning!  Back in the saddle tomorrow!

HD

16 comments:

  1. I want to give you a big hug! You're going through a lot, and it sounds tough. I have to say, there's nothing for anyone else to forgive. If you decide to drink, you drink. If you decide to drink a bottle of wine, it's your call. I returned to drinking, twice, after long spells sober. It was all part of me working out whether and how I would drink. When I did finally quit, it was the absolute right thing to do. I'm not saying that's what you'll do. You're you, and you'll figure it out your way. But I like that you're paying attention to what's going on around the drinking, and how it makes you feel, and whether it does what you want it to do. I hope the sleep is OK. And I hope tomorrow is a better day. Take care xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today has actually been a pretty good day. I have a much better perspective on things, albeit I'm a bit tired!

      Delete
  2. You are upfront and honest and from my perspective, very much I control. Don't be too hard on yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life sucks sometimes. I'm so sorry. Sending you a big hug xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but not really an excuse. Thanks for the hug!

      Delete
  4. Hi HD that all sounds very stressful and totally unpleasant. Reaching for a drink to deal with it all I am sure seemed appealing. I think you have got to the stage thou (like me) where even when you drink now it's not enjoyable and you are filled with regret. I think your actions over the last few weeks were self sabotage to make it OK to drink a bottle of wine when the 'time' came. I think this needs to be examined. You know the truth and you know what you want and what works. Not drinking. Period. Hoping you are ok today. Onwards and upwards. No biggie. Just make the right choice. For you. Kats xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not drinking definitely is the best choice, in so many ways!

      Delete
  5. You have got to do what works for you. I totally agree with Thirsty Stills comments. And, I hope things get better for you my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like I have anger management issues and can't stay mad at anyone, I also can't seem to stay too down. I'll be fine. I tend to cycle up, spew like a volcano and then I'm done. Next time I don't think I'll try to drown the volcano though!!!

      Delete
  6. Every night should wash away what happened the day before. You drank today. Tomorrow, you are born anew and can decide not to drink, just for that day. Don't let one slip throw you into a tailspin, or he won again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. He has already won enough in the past few years! But he lost me...haha

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry life came at you so hard. Sounds like a massively button-pushing day to me, and you have my complete sympathies!

    Take good care of yourself for the next couple of days, no matter how you feel (and be prepared to feel pretty crappy -- alcohol sometimes leaves a nasty chemical backwash, especially when we're not used to it anymore. Fills the brain with awful thoughts, but I promise they pass). Lots of water, tea, gentle walks in the sunshine, go light on the self-recrimination, that sort of thing, as small as they often seem.

    Hugs from here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, button pushing is a good way to say what yesterday was like. I am feeling better today, thanks.

      Delete
  8. HD so sorry you have had such a rough time. Sending you love and thinking of you. We have all been where you are with the drink, and you have a crew here who understand. Love SP Xxx

    ReplyDelete