My Lists

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Not as bad as I once was......

There's a Toby Keith song with these lyrics:

I ain't as good as I once was,
But I'm as good once, as I ever was

In my mind, I shift these around in regards to my relationship with wine:

I ain't as bad as I once was,
But I can be as bad once, as I ever was


This is my busiest time of year work-wise so I have spent a few minutes each day trying to catch up on blogs but not always having time to comment on all.  I'm trying to fit in exercise, fit in food for the family, etc.

I had a really lovely Thanksgiving this year.  Last year I woke up hungover every morning, barely got out hiking and I remember it was the first time I realized I was throwing up green bile.  This year I had wine over the long evening and slept wonderfully.....because I didn't have too much.

I really debated whether I should be completely dry or not for TGiving.  I decided not to focus on it and just let things happen.  I ended up having wine, but in a normal manner.  Although, even 3 glasses over many hours was still probably too much to be considered healthy.

I started off November going dry to keep others going which meant keeping myself going.  When those folks fell away I sort of lost my own momentum.  It's not their fault, I just was committed to them but not to myself so it was easy to take some drinking passes when I saw they were.  Strangely enough all of those folks are doing really well now in sobriety.  It's so wonderful to see!

But then there is me.  Basically drinking moderately.  I'm pleased that I'm not overdoing it but I feel like I am walking along a cliff.  One slip and down I go. Right now I'm feeling well balanced in wine and exercise.  My overall relationship with wine has changed or at least my awareness of myself and issues with it has been acknowledged.  I know what I don't want to be like again but it does require some control.

The funny thing is that deep down I still feel the fact that I drink wine is wrong.  I never used to think that but this last year has changed my perspective. A year ago, I felt I was drinking too much and that was the issue, not that wine itself is inherently unhealthy.  Now, a year later, I'm not drinking "too" much (at least not like I was) and I feel horribly guilty about every sip.  Not sure why, I just do.

I desperately want to be "in" with those who aren't drinking.  To be counting is perfect behavior for me as it gives me focus.  So instead of counting when I don't drink, I am basically counting when and what I do.

So I'm still here just chugging along.  I'm not nearly as bad as I once was but I think the proper trigger might give me a chance to be as bad once as I ever was.....and I don't want that.

I think I just need to prove to myself that I can drink or not drink.  That means I will need to find times during the year when I cold turkey it, reset my system.  I'm going to start again today and go without at least until the holidays when family descends upon me.  I have a feeling a little self-medication may be in order then but I survived Thanksgiving with a small dose of the drug.  I'm not proud of admitting I needed it but it did help.  And it is just that, a drug.

So I'm sort of counting again.....

HD

5 comments:

  1. Hug
    This is tough. At one time I worried focusing too much on perfection was hurting me...but the alternative seemed too dangerous, do I just stopped questioning myself and didn't drink.

    Take heed of that inner knowing. We all know what we need. It's just not always simple to listen.

    I'm cheering you on. The truth is, all anyone wants is for life to be enjoyable and easy. We get to that point in different ways.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean Kirkpatrick (the founder of Women for Sobriety) wrote a book quite a while ago where she said that she had gone from binge drinking to binge sobriety, and that that was progress. I am an expert on binge sobriety, but I think it did set the stage for actual sobriety. But who knows? Some crazy event could throw me off course, but I can't worry about that today. Unlike you, my attempts at normal drinking became heavy drinking in a matter of weeks. And there was that guilty feeling that I was betraying myself, and that I was going to be even worse now than I ever was.
    I think it is hugely positive that you go back to a period of sobriety after a few drinks. I am so glad you are blogging your way through it. ; )
    xoxo,
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found what you said to be true, when you drink again it doesn't seem right. I realised in 2013 that I was drinking too much and I no longer wanted to. I think from that time on its never been the same. You can go to the holidays and decide then what you want to do xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are still chugging along. This is a journey for you and it is good you are keeping track of your feelings along the way. This was my second no alcohol Thanksgiving. The first one I was only about 3 weeks in and still quite sensitive, the oven stopped working midway so 45 minutes prior to the end I realised the turkey was raw underneath. I cried, I made my daughter cry and we both went to bed the most uh thankful people ever. Contrast this year when I barely though of a drink (except to notice how much my friends drank ha ha) It will be interesting to think back at Thanksgiving 2017 and see where you are, how you are drinking and how you feel about it all. I hope you continue to reflect and review.

    ReplyDelete