My Lists

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Prepping for the inevitable...Part 1

Tuesday started the kickoff for a very busy season at work.  In doing this dry November, I must confess, I think it will be a little easier because I will be so busy.....at least I hope so :-)

I haven't had any cravings hit me to drink.  Another blogger (sorry, you, can't remember who!) mentioned Spindrift at Trader Joes.  Lifesaver!  I love their sparkling cucumber water.  For some reason it really hits the spot in the evening. I feel refreshed and energized.

I tend to think about wine about part way through getting dinner ready.  I must confess, I didn't cook that much in my first marriage, and I didn't for years in this one.  However, hubby took a job last spring and suddenly I had to do all the grocery shopping and cooking.  (I know, hush, there is very little sympathy aimed at me right now...but I DO handle everything else with the home...all finances and all the other chores concerned with living with the pigs in my life that I adore.)

So it has been stressful for me at this age a bit like it must be for a new young wife trying to get food on the table.  But I am finally getting in the groove.  Another blogger emailed me some pointers awhile ago and that helped too.  I have my go-to meals and I'm learning to forgive myself for sometimes just breaking out the frozen lasagna, salad and texas toast when I'm tired.  I am actually having fun now, finally, with meal planning.  Getting my game on in this regard has helped to quell cravings.

About half way through dinner prep I will often think of wine because, in the past, whenever I DID cook, it was so stressful for me that I needed to numb the process.  No more.  Yay!

Muscling through stressful occasions and doing them without wine must be the key for reducing some cravings in the future, eventually.  Just changing habits I guess.

I'm dealing with heavy stress today in regard to my court case with my ex.  This is never ending.  There is a meeting this afternoon that will either make me feel relieved, that things really are out of my control and I just need to be patient and cruise along, or else it's a situation that will make me feel wronged and taken advantage of.  Vague, I know, just not comfortable disclosing here.  My point is that there is a very high possibility of feeling upset, victimized, and just "fuck it" by 5 pm tonight.

I am trying to prepare for this possibility.  I have thought through the worst case scenario and I think I'm okay with it.  I can just be calm and deal with it.  Life isn't fair and today might be my dose of it.  But even if the worst case pans out, I don't need to blur my evening.  I've thought through this morning how wine won't help.  If my worst case happens, I'm going to "take to bed", cry my eyes out, take a really nice bubble bath with candles, and listen to my audio book that is really getting good.  I am prepared.

If things go okay, then I will just relax and enjoy my evening, taking time with tea and good magazines I'm behind on, to let the stress ease out.  And I still might take that bath regardless.

This is kind of a boring post, but I needed to re-read my last post and prep for this afternoon.

I'll post later how it went and how I'm doing.  Keeping accountable to this blog will get me through tonight.

HD

7 comments:

  1. I hope everything goes your way today and that even if they don't that you remember to think about how far you have come. You are strong and your blog radiates that strength. Enjoy your bath, order delivery so you can ditch the stress for the night of cooking and rely on your family to prop you up.

    Also, have you tried a crock pot. Its a life saver with my super picky husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I have been really getting into my crockpot! Did porkchops yesterday, very tender which passed muster with my picky son. I intend to do more with it!!

      Delete
  2. You are doing great! I laughed when I read that you drank when cooking dinner because you were so stressed-I never needed that reason! Dooking dinner equaled drinking a bottle of vino in the process! I hope things turn out the way you want! If not, you're plan sounds like a good idea-and I say do the bath either way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great plan for a stressful day. I think these sorts of plans are exactly what eventually makes the "not drinking" part of a tough day seem reassuringly normal. And helps us go to bed nursing a little spark of pride in ourselves for having done what we could to prepare and endure.

    Wishing you good luck with all the impossible-to-control" parts of the day, and continued strength with the things you can control. Enjoy the bath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending much love and support to you always, HD! You are really doing it. Who needs booze in November?...not you! Well done.

    ReplyDelete