My Lists

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I Feel So Small!

Day 4   morning.....preparing for evening

I decided to write this morning because I'll need to look back at this at wine o'clock tonight.  Today will be my first evening back with hubby, chatting after work.  My toughest time and biggest trigger for cravings.

This sober universe of folks trying to struggle with the same dilemma makes me feel so small. While we all "got here" for different reasons, we all have a solution that is "one size fits all".  Stop drinking. I think about why I drink (I'll reflect and make that another post later) and, after reading so many stories, I admit that I am ASHAMED. I feel so GUILTY for not being able to moderate.  I feel so stupid for whining about it.

You see, I would describe myself as a 46 year old female with a great husband (#2) and a wonderful teenage son.  I have a good job, decent career, not rich but well-off enough not to be too scared of retirement someday.  I'm an easy-going, generally happy person.  My son and I joke that we have anger management issues....we can never manage to stay angry at anyone!

I'm not Ms Giggles mind you, I don't have an acre wide smile all the time, but I'm still pretty cheery, a bit sarcastic perhaps, but generally a "glass half-full" vs "half empty" gal.  Pretty even-keeled I'd say.

I'm middle of the road social-wise, don't need a huge friend network but easily strike up conversations in social situations and have long standing relationships with old friends that I can pick up anytime.  Not shy, no social anxiety, love talking in front of groups. Have been through some stressful times but I never ride the "bitter bus."  As an ex-wife I deplore those women that engage in malicious mother syndrome.  (This is a real term! Google it, they are out there!)   I don't ever really feel what I would call depressed.  I'm really at ease with myself and like to put others at ease..I think.
 
For the most part I don't think I focus much on the majority of insecurities that we, as females, deal with.  I don't think I give a lot of energy to the below:

- am I pretty enough? (I would like to improve a few things, but I'm pretty happy)
- am I thin/fit enough?  (Okay, no, but I'm still happy...just need to work on this)
- am I truly loved and appreciated?  (Yep, feel pretty good here)
- am I fashionable enough?  (Maybe not so much anymore but that comes and goes)
- am I the best Mom?  (I think I'm pretty good except those nights I drank too much)
- am I the best Wife?  (Always room for improvement here but I think it's working)
- do I have enough money?  (Well, who ever does, but I'm not starving)

I suppose I might worry about these things subconsciously.....but, again, for another post.

I need to write that I feel ashamed and guilty that with all the above going for me, that I can't stop drinking wine, specifically white wine, once I start.  I SHOULD be able to laugh, toss back a glass, maybe two and then be done.  I haven't really had a hard life.  No major tragedies.  Even made it through an almost 2 decade marriage followed by divorce and stayed pretty intact and together on the inside.

So many people have soooo much going on in their life that I want to shout "heck yeh, YOU deserve to drink!"  The fact that all these others are trying to stop amidst all of their life issues is so impressive, makes me want to cry with them.  Life can be hard, brutal for some and no wonder some get depressed.  It's a normal response.  Developing coping mechanisms is easy inside an easy life. Trying to do so when constantly being assaulted with life's varied and sometimes harsh situations is rough.

So here's a shout-out to all of you struggling with life's issues AND trying to tackle not drinking on top of that!  I'm a wimp.  But your struggles have empowered me to really try and commit to getting myself back at the top of my game.  Thank you!

I hope this doesn't come across as self-righteous or smug. I don't mean it that way.  I just need to put my big-girl panties on and make this work!  The rest of you are a true inspiration to me.  You can bet I will be thinking about this tonight at wine o'clock.  If others can stop, I CAN TOO!!

HD

8 comments:

  1. We have a lot in common and I totally get where you're coming from. Perhaps that's why you have the awareness you do around it. Nothing else gets me like white wine as strangely I seem to have an off switch with beer red wine spirits cocktails? I struggled many years with bulimia and wonder if that bingeing behavior is linked and that perhaps I swapped food for wine? Try not to be angry about the moderation but grateful for the self awareness you have in spades. I wish I had such insight! Feel I have a lot of emotional growth to catch up on! Day 3 for me today also and my hubby also returning from interstate so he will be drinking but understands (partly?) my relationship with wine so hopefully no triggers there. Have 2 massive days ahead but will be thinking of you tonight and gearing up for day 4 with you xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have that off switch with the other stuff too. We all have ended up at this point due to different "cocktails" of reasons. We need to each get to the bottom of our drinking issues....pardon the pun. I think there must be some correlation between the bulimia and drinking but I've never studied up on that. So what's my excuse? Ha - will be working on thinking that through further! Hugs, hang in there and keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about white wine, when I started on that a couple of years ago my intake really went up. One bottle doesn't really do anything for me now. I also feel very ashamed that I haven't been able to manage my drinking, like there's something wrong with me. I think this is why the Jason Vale book has helped me a lot - it really does spell out the fact that alcohol is a drug and works the same way on our brains and behaviour as other addictive but illegal drugs. It has helped me realise that it's probably the drug itself that's more of a problem than I am which is why it has to go!
    Have a good Thursday, both of you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Concur! And thanks to both of you for comments. I'm off to the market and going through the wine section is just not an option!

      Delete
    2. 6pm here and just stuffed myself with cake and chocolate to get past the 5pm craving. Feel sick but guess better than drinking...roll on day 4 hope you made it through ok HD Hugs xo

      Delete
  4. I think what you have wrote is so true for many of us. There has been no major incidents in my life. I'm happy and have a wonderful family. BUT somewhere along the line my happy go lucky moderate drinking days turned into 1-2 bottle of wine (yes white) a night..every night. Usually drinking by myself or hiding how much I was drinking from my hubby. I'm on day 28.. it's hard. I have no excuse why I drank so much i just did. mac78blog.WordPress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for you, Day 30 seems so far away and it's so close for you!

      Delete
  5. Wow, it's all so true...Chardonnay, well any white really, is my main culprit of demise. Reading this brings back all the struggles, but at the same time, strange as this may seem to write, it also gives me hope, because I have moved forward, I just need to keep going until I there. As there is "never" wanting to drink again, EVER! Lia

    ReplyDelete