My Lists

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Day 1 - This habit is going to kill me if I don't readjust...

I’m starting this blog, like others before me, because I really want to be alcohol free…..for a long time, for many reasons.  Forever seems like too far in the future to think about right now so, for me, it’s one day at a time.  SoberMummy recommends writing down all the reasons I don’t want to drink so I’ll start with that.

      1) My son has seen me acting “off”.   I never want him to see me like that again.  I’m hoping he won’t remember the handful, but still a handful, of times where he said “Mom, do you remember what you said last night?”  Yikes.
      2) I’m a female getting fat.
      3)  I don’t have energy to workout.  I hate exercise.  Add alcohol and any inclination to exercise is gone.
      4) I hate the self-loathing, repetitive record that I hear, over and over in my head, around 2am after I drink too much wine that evening before.
      5)  I hate not sleeping soundly through the night.
      6) I spend too much money on this habit.
      7)  I know it’s not healthy.  I agree with everything in Jason Vale’s book.
      8)  I’m tired of letting myself down, saying I can moderate, and then not being able to do so.  I can’t seem to ever stop at one glass, even if I don’t actually get drunk, but still, it always leads to two.  Or while it doesn’t at first, it eventually does.
      9)  I want to have more energy to focus on new things.  I need to “find” myself this year and I am looking forward to that!
      10)   I want to stop thinking about alcohol, it has become such a forerunner in my thoughts…..every morning I wake up wanting to quit, every evening I don’t care anymore.
      11)  I hate that I feel I “need” it to relax.  I need to redefine “relaxing”.

I realized this past November that I had been in this vicious cycle for years.  I have continually prayed “please let me stop drinking.”  I even went through a period of time where my feet were swelling and it scared me.  But every bloody time I went in for my annual physical, my lab work, ekg, etc were all perfect.  Doc had no idea how much I was drinking.  It was like a contest I won every year, seeing if the Doc would notice anything.  Hello, it’s been 6 more years than the swelling episode – snap – already!  I’m still drinking and I wonder why I am 28 pounds heavier …..I have my annual physical in 2 weeks...I think I'm about to be "outed" but we'll see.

I don’t often get “blotto-ed” but it was becoming more frequent.  I was starting to black-out an evening a week after 4 or 5 glasses of wine.   I started to lose count of how many times I couldn’t remember putting my son to bed.  I realized that I was “blacking-out” in the sense that my brain was not creating memories but I was still “functioning” to any onlooker. Scary.  Even my husband says that the only indicator that I “might” have had too much to drink is that I start to repeat myself.  Well, yes, if I can’t remember what I said/did 2 minutes ago, I guess that makes sense.

I went online in October and found http://www.mummywasasecretdrinker.blogspot.com/secretdrinker.com.  

Wow, eye-opener.  Very enjoyable capture of her experiences.  I love reading her posts.  This was when I started to admit I might have a real problem.  It was disheartening though in one sense…she was already more than 8 months into sobriety.  How on earth could I make it that far?  I needed someone at exactly my point, someone just starting, but I couldn’t find a good fit.  Instead I took her advice and read books.

In November and December I started reading the fiction and non-fiction books she recommended.  On into January.  I even read Jason Vale.  Loved him.  I mean who else would talk to you about drinking and tell you not to stop until you are done with the book.  So I enjoyed and agreed with everything he wrote…while I had a glass of wine in my hand….explain that one to me…..  Still, I did not stop.  So much for agreeing with him and following his advice…..it had sounded so easy!! 

I think the longest I had gone without wine in the last 10 years was about 5 or 6 days.  I didn’t get drunk nightly but almost always had an unhealthy 2 to 3 glasses of wine.  It took Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola that I read in February to scare me into realizing that something is not going right in my brain when I drink and what happens to me may not happen to everyone.  I began to contemplate actually trying to stop.

In early March, before my husband came home from work, I had a long phone conversation with an old friend and don’t remember all that we talked about.  I drank a bottle and a half of wine while chatting and then hid the wine bottle I had completed.  I did all this before my husband got home from work at 10pm.  He came home and I had locked him out of the bedroom.  I never lock our bedroom door, but I guess I did that night.  I awoke (of course around 2am) to find him out on the couch.  He came back to bed and I was awake the rest of the night.  He’s never said I have a problem with wine.  He says that everyone needs to blow off steam sometimes.  But I knew I had a problem.  I know I have a problem!

The next day I drove out of town to see a relative and started drinking Pellegrino water at night instead of wine.  It was easy.  I couldn’t believe it.  I slept great those three nights and when I drove home I was ready to stay sober.  Other than some minor issues to include minor cravings, light constipation and taking longer to fall asleep at night, I really quit the drink pretty easily and uneventful.  I went 14 days.  Wow, I thought, I must have imagined everything.  I kept waiting for the withdrawal symptoms other than wanting wine every evening at wine o’clock.  I mean I must not have been “that bad” if I didn’t really suffer withdrawals.  But I missed sitting outside every evening with my husband and my glass (or 2, 3 or 4 glasses) of wine.  So I drank bubble water, he drank wine or beer.  I told him it didn’t bother me, and that I don’t want to control him. 

Then, my family came through town.  That first night, I didn’t drink anything except water.  In fact I poured my family some wine and poured water for me.  My mother didn’t realize I wasn’t drinking wine so it got comical.  I kept getting up and pouring more water and, lol, she thought I was pouring wine.  When we got up to drive out and go pick up take-out food she looked very concerned and said “are you sure you are okay to drive?”  Goodness….if that had been wine I had had in those glasses of water I filled every 10 minutes I would have been passed out on the floor due to alcohol poisoning!  I laughed, feeling supremely smug, told her it was just water and off we went.  I had an excuse to not drink as I had to pick up my husband at the airport later that night. 

The next evening my family and I were sitting outside looking at the sunset on a beautiful day.  They were having wine and I wasn’t going to.   Then it was like “what the heck”, I’ve done two weeks, a glass or two won’t hurt me.  I’ll just limit myself to two a night.  I never want to drink too much again.  I can moderate.  I had lost two pounds in two weeks and was feeling like I was finally seeing a number on the scale that I hadn’t seen in years. 

So for the next couple of weeks, I was eating like I was still rewarding myself for not drinking and started drinking up to 2 glasses of wine a night.  Boy, I was doing great….limiting to 2 a night was a breeze….Then it became 3…..  Then more family came to visit.  I stayed up and chit chatted, going through a bottle of wine just myself.  Again, nobody seemed to realize how much I had drunk.  I remember saying goodnight and getting up but nothing after that.

I continued to have a few more incidences of drinking too much – now, all my drinking was really too much, but I define this as having blackouts and it was becoming more frequent again.  All of sudden I realized I had gained 7 pounds!  Dang.  In 6 weeks.  Oops, wrong direction....Need to stop again.

Started working out, working on my diet too….but didn’t stop drinking….but wanted to.  Back to self-loathing at 2am.  Went out this past Friday and bought airline bottles of wine, 4 to a pack.  Figured it would help me really see what I was drinking and help me cut back.  Was just going to have 1 a day and I’d get 8 days out of these suckers.  Had 3 on Friday night and 5 last night.  Oh boy. That didn’t go as planned.

I think I really have come to the conclusion that I am not capable of moderation in my wine drinking. Did I just say that?  Ouch.  I don’t really like beer or hard liquor and don’t even really like red wine.  But I found over the past week I could still put away 3 to 4 glasses of cheap red wine…and didn’t really even like the taste. Danger sign.  Whatever happens, once I have completed that first glass of wine….I don’t/won’t stop.  It’s a pattern that has been repeating itself over and over and over.  I will likely never be able to moderate. 

The problem is that I don’t know that I am committed to forever, I know I should be, but I’m certainly committed to losing 12 pounds!  At that point I will re-evaluate and hopefully remain committed to the next 16 pounds.  And I may screw up again but hopefully not.  I would like to drink moderately but I don’t know if it’s possible to ever go back.  And yet, I know it’s horrible for me.  So I think I’ll just stick to abstaining and focus on documenting what I am going through each day.  When I hit 28 pounds lost (this is so highly unrealistic that I think this will occupy my thinking for a very long time) then I will evaluate the sobriety thing.

I want to be able to look back and see what was in my head at Day 1, 2, 3, etc.  I want to be accountable to something or it will be so easy to slip-up.  I want to focus on other things and not having drinking be my focus.  I’ve been reading the sober blogs for a few months now.  I hate to say I hope sometimes that people fail because I did.  Isn’t that horrible?  So I’m writing my own blog now more to focus my energy on my own positives for not drinking and not thinking so negatively.  I don’t know if anyone will even find this blog….not really sure how it works.  

So here goes…
Hopefully this blog will keep reminding me about why I am wanting to stop……

On a positive note, since last Tuesday, I worked out with weights twice, used elliptical machine for a 30 minute session, a 10min/15min session, a 45 minute session and also went on a 40 minute trail walk.  And it’s only Sunday.   And I haven’t worked out in months…..so I’m going to log my exercise too!  Oh and I switched from Splenda to Stevia in my tea. That’s a good move too, right?


Tonight is my first night without alcohol, Day 1!  Onward!!  Off to go throw down some Pellegrino water…..

HD

9 comments:

  1. I'm back on day one - so you might be a day ahead of me! Hope you're ok. Love Annie from A Dappled Path x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made it through last night. We can do this. Stay with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done HD! Great list, great blog. Keep going! You're awesome. SM x

    ReplyDelete
  4. HD! This is an awesome first post of yours. I completely know what you mean about "forever". Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I just think, well, maybe some time down the line, but not today. As the days are going by, the idea of drinking in the future seems to be less frequent. It is beginning to click for me that it's not just one, and that drinking isn't necessary. Still learning, but getting there. Anyway, great blog. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could hav written your list. Every one if your reasons . I quit on March 11th 2016 and I am so glad I did. The description of how easily you get sucked back in rings so true ,

    Lily��

    Www.alcoholfree2016.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep having amnesia that I stopped for two weeks and it got out of hand again. Having you comment on this had me reading it again. This is exactly why I started blogging...to remind myself. Thank you for drawing me back to this!

      Delete
  6. This is a great post. I can relate to way too much of it. Sometimes reading other drinkers posts is like reading my own story. In a way it gives me hope. It gives me strength. If you can do it, so can I. Congrats on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought I start reading your blog from the beginning, and it's all so true. It's me to a tee. I don't want to go back to this behavior again, and I have progressed, but I still can't only drink 2 or 3 drinks every time! I may go days between drinking, but then I'll fall back into 3 or 4 days in a row where I don't drink, to pick it up again. And then, I decide to drink a bottle, and more and blackout. Honestly, if alcohol wasn't a poison, and didn't harm my body, and the hangovers were 5 or less times a year, I'd keep drinking. But it doesn't work that way. So I need to change my mind. I'm so glad I read this today. You can do it Habit!

    ReplyDelete