My Lists

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Hypnotic failure

Well, I did two days and then had three glasses of wine last night.  This was all before dinner.  I had no more wine at dinner, drank milk in fact, had an enjoyable evening, went to bed early and slept pretty well.  Got up early this morning, too, to go for a walk.

But I still feel disappointed in myself which is an indicator all to itself.

Last night I was exhausted after a therapy session yesterday.....just an excuse, I know.  I did a lot of work at that session and while wine drinking wasn't the main focus, we did discuss how I use it to quiet my brain.

It is a drug and, unfortunately, it does work for that purpose.  The problem is that I know how unhealthy it is, I don't think it's good even in moderation and yet I still turn to it.  I can go for days at a time without it and then I turn to it again.  I guess a lot of people do....maybe even those that we consider "normal" drinkers.

At my session, my therapist tried to hypnotize me into what she called a medium trance state.   She wanted to work on some post traumatic stress she felt I was encountering.  After she promised I would not bark like a dog, I asked if I would remember the experience.  She said most certainly, that this state is one of clarity and I'll remember everything about it.  So I was totally game to give it at try.

Unfortunately I failed at this.  Utterly.  Couldn't shut off the brain.  First, she had me look at a globe in the distance.  After a few minutes, I asked if I could close my eyes.  She said yes and then as part of the hypnosis she started count down.  She said 10 and said some words.  I tried to relax.  She said 9 and some more words.  I tried harder.  Once she got to 5 I was having all these conversations in my head like I have when I'm trying to fall asleep.  All I could think of was "oh no, this isn't working and we are already at 5!" Which means I wasn't listening to her at all!!  I couldn't focus on relaxing. I felt physically relaxed sitting on the chaise but I couldn't shut up my fucking mind.  I then cried because I was a failure at being hypnotized!  Lol.

(She admitted that I seem so "chill" that she had no idea how wound up I am inside so hypnosis may not be the best approach until we work on quieting the mind a bit more in general.)

We did some more talking instead and made some good progress on my past issues.  I brought up wine and how in future sessions I would really like to figure out how to cope without it.

That's really the crux of my issue.  With self discipline, I can quit wine.  But the need to drink is still there in certain situations, usually when I need to tune out thoughts.  I don't consider myself an anxious person but this may be a form of anxiety and I just haven't viewed it that way.  My blood pressure is disgustingly low and my pulse never really races......that's how I have viewed anxiety.

I'm so aware now that I abuse alcohol that it's in a lot of my thoughts, always at the forefront of my mind.  Thinking of not drinking can become so noisy that the only way for me to drown that out is to drink. 

By being aware and admitting I struggle with alcohol issues, I have curbed some old behavior and I did make a lot of progress in 2016.  I no longer over indulge very often all at once although cumulatively I think the units still add up to unhealthy levels.  Yet, I am so loathe to give it up.

I have been struggling with feeling accountable to the sober universe....and yet....because I'm not sober 100% of the time, I continue to feel out of sorts.

I need these blogs, though.  Thanks to previous comments, I know I am still welcome.  If anyone else is feeling odd about hanging around the blogs, don't.  We all have our own journey and nobody's journey is more right or wrong than the other.  The point is that none of us would be here unless we realized a need for change.  This is just my personal journey and others have said they still want to see me blogging, so I will.

This has been such a great support structure for me over the last year.  I like coming here, reading and recharging, especially if I feel myself falling off my expectations for myself.  I love the wealth of knowledge, the sharing of ideas.  I love seeing people turn their lives around for the better. I feel very comfortable commenting on web pages.  I don't think it's hypocritical for me to support someone even if I'm not traveling on the same road and I think most others feel the same.

I haven't as yet "just cold turkey,stopped" alcohol as many have.  I'm still on the fence as to if I want to.  I honestly don't think I'll let myself get get back to that previous bad place because I can now  "think through the drink" to the blackouts, the hangovers, making a fool of myself, etc.  So I stop at a point but it's still a point further than I want to be.  I still don't have the off switch flipping early enough for my taste.

I do think that checking in here from time to time is important.  It keeps me grounded, sane and, let's call a spade a spade here, keeps me realistic that I haven't beaten down all my issues...Conscious that I am still drinking (nowhere near to previous levels but probably not at normal all the time either) and really don't want to be at some point.  It's like alcohol is slowly, albeit very slowly, losing it's grip on me.

I still struggle to let go of the idea that I can "conquer" this and give up alcohol because I want to not because I have to.

It's been suggested I might be better off trying a moderation management site.  I understand that suggestion.  The problem is that I don't really want to moderate, even though that's pretty much what I am doing.

I'm going through the Udemy course on alcohol, I continue to read some of the books suggested.  Last year I did a lot of prep work before I abstained for 125 days.  So I'm doing more prep work now to see if I can reduce alcohol's role in my life or if I need to give it up entirely.

I'm done tracking everything for awhile.  I'm going to focus on balance instead.  I will continue to check in here.  I deleted my counting and exercise pages.  I'll still track this on my own for my own edification.  I'll still mention how I'm doing here but more in summary.  I'll keep you posted!

Thanks to all of you who have hung with me since I joined up last April!  Big huge hugs!

HD


18 comments:

  1. Big hugs to you HD! Whilst I blog, sober, I never for one minute see the space as an exclusively sober one. I love the kindness and support here and love that we are all on our journey taking different paths and choices along the way. Sharing and supporting one another. It sounds a bit silly as we've never met, but I think a huge amount of you and value your presence here as part of this community. You were one of the first to say hi on my blog and seeing your friendly presence meant the world to me. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, SP, that was so nice to read!!!

      Delete
  2. Thinking of not drinking becoming so loud that I had to drink is exactly what I felt!

    To me, this describes the compulsive addiction of alcohol. That on one hand we don't want to use it, but then the voice inside go so loud I couldn't cope. So I drank.

    For me, this was anxiety. That ever questioning little voice, second guessing, criticizing, complaining, undermining.

    Anxiety isn't always panic attacks...

    I must say, without alcohol and with yoga practice, my inner chatter has become supportive and calm.

    Sounds like, you are doing a lot of work!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really do think that focusing on calming my mind via mediation, yoga or whatever works will help a lot. I just need to stop planning to plan on doing it and get on with it!

      Delete
  3. It ain't easy. I was never able to quit off will power alone. I had to surrender completely to he fact that I'm an alcoholic. Then I used a 12-step program and I must say, that compulsion you so perfectly described was gone. Poof! Like that. It's my story but I'd suggest to anyone to get a sponsor in a 12-step program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi HD, I think I'm very much like you. It's not always the actual drinking that is the problem, it's all the thinking that goes with it. All the never ending thoughts, monitoring, bargaining etc. I think this is what people talk about once they are sober for a long time and talk about freedom. It's freedom from the thinking. This is the freedom we can't get with moderation or while drinking. I'm definitely don't have it yet either.

    I think it's great you have made so much progress, I definitely wouldn't worry about 3 glasses of wine every few days. I know you will find what works for you. I feel the same way, I need all the thinking to stop, but I didn't want to stop drinking. However the fact that for 3 years I keep coming to the same conclusion over and over again, that I have to stop says something. So here I am not drinking again, this time it feels so natural and so much easier. I failed terribly at our Sober November, I just can not find balance. I really hope for you that you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your support PDTG! I think that's why I have been distancing myself from my blog, to quiet the "thinking about not drinking". Not sure it's working though. I still think one of these days I'll be ready to ride the abstention bus...just not quite yet...

      Delete
  5. I have probably said this before, but we each need to find our own path.
    And it won't be the same!
    My anxiety issues, and I have them, aren't panic attacks. (Although I used to have them when I was younger.)
    But I get a feeling in my chest, to my stomach.
    And I know I am upset.
    Drinking made me super anxious.
    Breathing helps me calm down.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I don't feel panic attacks nor a feeling of being upset...it's more just a feeling of not being able to shut off my brain sometimes even if I am calmly lying in bed, in the tub, listening to the fountain, doing chores, etc. Still working on this!

      Delete
  6. All the noise in the head...sounded a bell with me (one more noise🤔🤔??)
    But seriously....do you consider yourself anywhere in the ADD category? Because I don't think I realized it initially, but one of the appeals of drinking was that it did calm the clamor for me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm pretty focused, maybe too much so. My hubby is ADD for sure, love him! Starts stuff, moves to other stuff, drives me crazy. I have to start and finish one thing before I can move along. We have learned how to be more tolerant of each other though! He knows to kick me out into the outdoors even if there are things to be done and I have learned to go out into the outdoors and forgive him for not getting things done!

      Delete
  7. If you get a chance, read my latest. Its quite relevant and inspired by you . Hugs and support! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing so great! Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  8. Hi :)
    It's so great to see you are even looking at yourself and wanting improvement let alone "staying on the dotted invisible line" and white knuckling this.
    There is much research into moderation drinking pros and cons - isn't it UTTERLY FANTASTIC of you to make this journey? So so proud you are/should be.
    Love Annie Grace's link put in by (Hurrah for Coffee) relating to moderation. Fantastic positive video about percentages instead of judgement.

    I do want to say I haven't read, seen or been posted anything but support, love and helpful advice. Was it on a website of "abstinence or nothing"?

    That's such old-school thinking as we are all making changes to enrich our lives and others around us. Anyho I have been a ding-dong as all along I have thought this a "problem drinker" blog universe not a "sober" blog.
    I am chuckling if I have been dumb but my PROBLEM is drink - if I choose to moderate, I would still require support.... right?

    Lots of warm energy to you all the way from NZ - Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Michelle, thanks. You are right. Problem Drinker Universe is more apt. Some opt for abstinence, others opt for just not being too problematic about their drinking anymore. I think my route will be periods of abstainment and periods of closely controlled moderation. I feel like I am moving slowly back down the spectrum of alcohol abuse....much more aware and trying to firm up what is acceptable and not acceptable for me even if I am not getting drunk anymore. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  9. Well said to you HD also. You are in recovery and that is ALL that is important xx
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello HD! Please stop worrying about not being entirely sober in the sober blog world. The great thing about blogging is it's YOUR space and people can enter it or not. Also, you are just talking about a thought process all of us have been through or will go through at some point and that is really HELPFUL. You are awesome.
    For what it's worth, I believe there are only 2 ways to silence the endless head chatter: 1. Is to drink as much as you feel like, no holds barred and 2. Is to not drink at all, and after 3-6 months the chatter stops forever. The problem with moderation is that the 'will I won't I' debate in your head never ever goes away.
    Big hugs ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete