My Lists

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Alcohol and living longer

I found this article to be really interesting.  Here is the LINK

I was fascinated by this part:
"...researchers followed 1824 people over a total of 20 years, as they aged between 55 and 65. Of those who abstained entirely, 69 percent died. Among those who drank in "moderate" amounts, 41 percent died—which was 23 percent less than the "light" drinkers. Even "heavy drinkers" fared better than abstainers, with just 61 percent passing away during the study period..."

The gist of the article is that while alcohol is unhealthy, the socializing benefits, the relaxation that goes with it, may be what is skewing results into it looking like alcohol has medical effects to prolong life. 

Turns out it's just that being lonely and anxious/stressed is pretty bad for you too. This next part was thought provoking as well.

"What does this have to do with longevity? In recent years, sociologists and epidemiologists have begun studying the long-term effects (Direct PDF link) of loneliness. It turns out to be really dangerous. We are social primates, and when we're cut off from the social network, we are more likely to die from just about everything (but especially heart disease). At this point, the link between abstinence and social isolation is merely hypothetical. But given the extensive history of group drinking—it's what we do when we come together—it seems likely that drinking in moderation makes it easier for us develop and nurture relationships. And it's these relationships that help keep us alive."

Do I think drinking is good then?  No, but I think this emphasizes how important it is to not go into total isolation mode when stopping the drink.  The key is to develop other tools to figure out how to be less stressed, to relax and to not be lonely.

Drinking is definitely relaxing to me.  I tune out and forget about whatever load I was carrying.  I become less inhibited.  I'm looking forward to making a conscious effort to figuring out how to relax without drinking as I never really focused on that before.  I just tend to stay stressed through cravings.  Hmmm.....  

7 comments:

  1. Hi HD! I read the article...it was interesting...but so were the comments...one in particular related to your first quote..
    "The point about it extending your life doesn't take into consideration that those in the study who abstained from alcohol may have been doing so for medical reasons. Therefore the fact that they died younger may have had nothing at all to do with their alcohol consumption (or lack thereof). Ben Goldacre made this point in his book Bad Science [www.badscience.net]" The author of the article stated that it is a valid point and worth thinking about.

    I remember very well the "stresses" the morning after drinking caused me. I would wake up in terror that I said something in my drunken stupor, wobbled when I walked, sent a drunken email or text, made a drunken phone call, etc. So, while I might not have been isolating myself while drinking, my so called "social interaction" caused me major stress. And, I couldn't just stop at 1 or 2...so moderation was not an answer for me.

    One more thing...in reading a lot of blogs, many of us do find other things to do that are not isolating, to help us through sobriety. I myself use group exercise. I have made friends in my exercise classes...have had coffee or lunch with them. Things that I did not do while drinking. I am also a better friend, and find things to do with my friends that don't revolve around drinking...like going to the movies or a show, going shopping, etc. I am now at the point where I can be around friends who are drinking. I think in the beginning you do need to isolate yourself to protect your newfound sobriety...it is precious and hard earned and you have to do whatever it takes to keep it. It's about changing your lifestyle. Just like when you are changing your eating habits...you might not want to be having around a Dunkin Donuts! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read the comments. Those were worth a read!

      Delete
  2. I've read this before too, I don't believe it. I just know that I feel better and healthier sober. While drinking I felt like I might die soon. I know I would not have lived to old age drinking like I was. That's my own study on myself anyway :) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think they make good points about loneliness though. I liked how that theory debunked the chemical of wine being good as many still say in justification.

      Delete
  3. I followed the link but can't see the actual data.
    Alcohol is a known carcinogen. So perhaps any increase in longevity is coupled with an increase in cancer.
    Perhaps all the abstained were past heavy drinkers who quit.
    Perhaps some were drug users.

    I don't think life expectancy is a good reason to drink! Lol
    But being social and interacting with others IS important.

    We all need to find things that make us happy. Then life is worth extending!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with feeling of loneliness, especially when I can't get to my yoga classes when sick.
    I think it is vital that we find ways to connect with other people.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like all of you I struggle with being soberly social in a drinking world. I haven't quite figured that out. I mean I do go out. In my earliest weeks of sobriety I faced a multitude of social situations where I basically white knuckled it. These last few months though have gotten a bit easier. I have one sober friend who I'd like to do things with and another friend who drinks but rarely. My biggest issue though is time. I work full-time, go to meetings and have a family. So I don't have much spare time to socialize much anyhow. I'm working on all of this.

    ReplyDelete