My Lists

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

3 days

There was something I read at one point that it takes 3 days for alcohol to get out of your system.  For whatever reason that really stuck with me.  I do always feel different once I get to that point.

Day 1 for me again (and I mean a real Day 1, not just a night or two off) was Monday night and I was grouchy about not drinking but this time around I know that cravings pass.  I just have to be committed.

Yesterday, I had a small craving on way home from the store.  No desire to buy wine or anything but just an annoyance while driving.  I screamed out loud to myself "I WANT a f-ing glass of wine when I get home".  It's funny, after doing that, instead of debating it, I forgot about it when I turned into my driveway.  I went back to working on stuff, poured bubble water and didn't have any more thoughts other than I was glad I wasn't drinking.

I took my first ibuprofen before bed.  No difference in foot pain this morning but I guess it takes time to get down the inflammation.  I almost worked out this morning.  Tomorrow may stick, we'll see.

The past few months, not being in commitment mode allowed me to drink in the evenings.  There is something about telling yourself you are finally going to do something.  Whether you declare out loud or just internally, it really makes a difference.

I have a family party coming up mid March and I wonder if I'll have wine that weekend.  When I quit last April I had a family summer vacation coming up.  By the time I got to it, I wanted to drink, but I wanted to get through it without drinking more.  I hope to have more and more of those moments.

I'm also going to reread my blog from last year, day by day as I move through this.  I don't think I'll post everyday like I did before but I'll try to check in weekly with a status update just so I have that documentation for myself as well.

Thanks for all your support and if you are wanting to quit, try just getting to day 4 and see how you are feeling.  You can always do 4 more!

5 comments:

  1. I think reading your blog again will be very helpful. I do that too and its strange to see how different the journeys can be. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby stopped drinking with me. I had a horrible day and he texted from store asking if I needed anything. I texted back white wine but he had already left with O'douls. Lol. Crisis averted. We were both looking to the other for permission. Some pizza later and cravings were gone. I just have to keep remembering that those 30 to 60 minute cravings really do go away! Thanks for your support as always!

      Delete
  2. Seriously consider just waking up each morning and decoding you aren't drinking for the next 24 hours. Period.
    Then, of the idea comes up, you know your decision.

    Step one. It brings relief from mental games.

    You can do this.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry about your foot, and hope it heals fast.
    I was taught in treatment to "urge surf" which helped me.
    I just let it ride, almost floating above it.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently its forget 24 hours, focus on 24 minutes. I find if I can make it through the hour I can make it through the day. Hugs

    ReplyDelete